Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Virginia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Commercial Improvement Exam Review$164.99
This license allows for repair or improvement to non-residential property and multi-family property as defined in the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. Our program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. There are optional practice tests as well as an extensive math and plans analysis portion. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Commercial Improvement Contracting means that service which provides for repair or improvement to nonresidential property and multifamily property as defined in the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code. The CIC classification does not provide for the construction of new buildings, accessory buildings, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or gas work.
The commercial improvement (CIC) classification includes, but is not limited to, the functions carried out by the following specialties:
- Masonry Contracting (BRK)
- Painting and Wallcovering Contracting (PTC)
- Roofing Contracting (ROC)
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
The Virginia Commercial Improvement Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the CIC clasification.
- In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a Class A, B, or C contractor.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- A Virginia Class A, B, or C license is required to be obtained along with passing this exam.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
- The Commercial Improvement exam has 50 questions and a time limit of 120 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Fee for this exam is $85.
- Topics on the Examination include windows and doors, rough carpentry and metal framing, general code requirements, roofing and exterior siding, drywall, concrete, masonry, and safety.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore.
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures
- Modern Masonry
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, 2015
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Virginia Commercial Improvement Contracting Examination in a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $149.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is fully narrated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.