Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Texas Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Texas Electrical Exam Review$199.99
In the state of Texas, to become an Electrician you must have at least 12 months of experience as a Licensed Journeyman Electrician. Or, you must have at least 60 months, with at least 10,000 hours of experience or at least 1,000 hours of experience per year for seven years. To qualify for an Electrician license through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, you’ll need to gain the required number of hours of job site training experience: Journeyman Electrician: 8,000 hours of experience and on-the-job training (equivalent to four years). @Home…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A master electrician performs all electrical work, including electrical work performed by a master sign electrician; supervise an electrician; verify compliance with on-the-job training requirements for issuance of a master electrician license, master sign electrician license, journeyman electrician license, or journeyman sign electrician license; and serve as a master or record for an electrical sign contractor.
A journeyman electrician works under the direct supervision of a master electrician.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- You must be a licensed master electrician, or employ a licensed master electrician;
- Maintain the required limits of business liability insurance:(1) Minimum $300,000 per occurrence (combined for property damage and bodily injury);
(2) Minimum $600,000 aggregate (total amount the policy will pay for property damage and bodily injury coverage); and
(3) Minimum $300,000 aggregate for products and completed operations.
- Meet the statutory requirements for workers compensation coverage.
- Must have at least 12,000 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a master electrician;
- Have held a journeyman electrician license for at least two years; and
- Pass a master electrician examination administered under this chapter.
- Must have at least 8,000 hours of on-the-job training under the supervision of a master electrician; and
- Pass a journeyman electrician examination administered under this chapter.
Applying For Your License
To apply for license, please contact the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation at 1-512-463-6599.
Application fees are as follows:
- Master Electrician: $45
- Journeyman Electrician: $30
- Electrical Contractor: $110
To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 800-733-9267. The examination fees are $78.
- The master exam has 100 questions and a time limit of 5 hours.
- A 75% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include services, wiring methods, switchboards, conductors, control devices, motors and generators, special occupancies, and plan reading.
- The journeyman exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 4 hours.
- A 75% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include services, wiring methods, switchboards, conductors, control devices, motors and generators, and special occupancies.
Books and References for the Exam
The following reference is permitted to be used during the exam. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2020 National Electrical Code
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Exam Prep: $199.99
Four hours of board approved education are required per year. We offer this online.
The master electrician's license is reciprocal with Louisiana. The journeyman electrician's license is reciprocal with Arkansas.