Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Idaho Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Idaho Electrical License (Master/Journeyman/Contractor) – NEC Exam Review$164.99
MASTER: In order to be approved for the Idaho Master Electrician examination, you must have worked as a licensed journeyman electrician for a period of not less than four (4) years. JOURNEYMAN: In order to qualify to take the journeyman electrician examination an apprentice electrician shall be required to work four (4) years, defined as a minimum of eight thousand (8,000) hours of work experience, under the constant on-the-job supervision of a journeyman electrician. In order to be approved for the Idaho State Journeyman Electrician exam you must submit notari…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A person holding an active Idaho journeyman electrician license may make installations of electrical wiring and equipment as an employee of an active licensed Idaho electrical contractor. Anyone attempting to act as an electrical contractor in the state of Idaho must first obtain an Idaho electrical contractor's license.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A person wishing to become an apprentice electrician shall register with the Electrical Bureau prior to going to work, and carry a current registration certificate on his person at all times. Must be at least 16 years old.
- An apprentice who has completed the required number of instructional hours and has not passed the journeyman's examination within two (2) years of completion of the required instructional training hours shall provide proof of continuation training (defined as registration in an approved fourth year apprenticeship class) in order to re-register as an apprentice.
- In order to qualify to take the journeyman electrician examination an apprentice electrician shall be required to work four (4) years, defined as a minimum of eight thousand (8000) hours of work experience, under the constant on-the-job supervision of a journeyman electrician.
- In order to be approved for the Idaho State Journeyman Electrician exam you must submit notarized documentation of four (4) years (a minimum of 8,000 hrs) of work experience as an apprentice electrician making electrical installations under the constant supervision of a qualified journeyman electrician and four (4) years (a minimum of 576 hrs) of approved electrical apprenticeship class room instruction.
- In order to be approved for the Idaho Master Electrician examination, you must have worked as a licensed journeyman electrician for a period of not less than four (4) years.
- Proof of $300,000.00 Liability Insurance and Worker’s Compensation Insurance (if applicable) must be received by the Electrical Bureau before your Electrical Contractor’s License will be issued.
Applying For Your License
It will cost you $15 to file the application for a contractor's license, $60 for the exam, and $125 to get the license. It's good until July 1 of the year after you got it. It will cost you $15 to file an application for the journeyman or master journeyman license and $60 for either exam. The master license costs $65. The journeyman license costs $55. Either license is good until July 1 of the year after you got it.
- 100 questions total and a time limit of 5hrs (Master Exam)
- 80 questions total and a time limit of 4hrs (Journeyman Exam)
- 50 questions total and a time limit of 2hrs (Contractor)
- Open Book
- Exam requires a 70% to pass.
- *Applicants failing to purchase a license within ninety (90) days of the date of successful examination shall be required to reapply for licensure, again obtain the Bureau approval, and re-examine.
- To schedule your exams, contact the bureau at (208) 334-2183.
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references ARE allowed in the testing center:
- National Electrical Code, 2017 (Master, Journeyman)
- Ferm’s Fast Finder Index, IAEI (Master, Journeyman)
- Ugly’s Electrical Reference (Master, Journeyman)
- Tom Henry’s Key Word Index (Master, Journeyman)
- Current Idaho Electrical Statutes and Rules (Contractor, Master, Journeyman)
- Idaho Contractors Business and Law Reference Manual (Contractor, Master, Journeyman)
Exam Review Education
We currently offer 2 options to help you pass your electrical exam Our complete exam review includes practice tests, highlighting guides, calculations, test taking tips and instructor support. The practice tests only option includes practice tests, test taking tips and instructor support.
Our electrical practice includes over 800 real NEC questions. Each time you take the practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Journeymen and Master Electricians must complete at least twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education instruction in every three (3) year period between updates of the National Electrical Code. The twenty-four hours of instruction will consist of a minimum of sixteen (16) hours of code update covering changes included in the latest edition of the National Electrical Code. We offer this online.
Idaho has journeyman electrician licensing reciprocity with the state of Montana.