Obtain Your License

Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your Maine Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.

  • Maine Plumbing License (Master, Journeyman) – Books Only Package


    As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.

    Maine Plumbing License (Master, Journeyman) – Examination Preparation Materials:

    • Plumbing Basics for Contractors
    • 2015 Uniform Plumbing Code
    View Product

Requirements To Complete

About This License

Master plumber” means any person, firm or corporation, qualified under this chapter, engaging in, or about to engage in, the business of installing plumbing or plumbing systems.

Journeyman plumber” means any person who customarily performs the work of installing plumbing and drainage under the employment and direction of a master plumber or, not being a master plumber, does plumbing repair work as a regular part-time occupation.

Requirements to Obtaining Your License

A license is required for any person, corporation, partnership or other entity who is engaged in plumbing or performing plumbing installations.

Master Plumber License

  • A minimum of at least one year with 2,000 hours of work in the field of plumbing installations as a journeyman plumber or a minimum of at least 4 years with 8,000 hours of work in the field of plumbing installations as a trainee plumber under the supervision of a master plumber, or the equivalent.

Journeyman Plumber License

  • A minimum of at least 2 years with 4,000 hours of work in the field of plumbing installations as a licensed trainee plumber under the supervision of a master plumber. OR
  • A minimum of 2,000 hours of work in the field of plumbing installations as a journeyman-in-training under the supervision of a licensed master plumber, as long as the work experience is obtained within 4 years of the date upon which the applicant was issued a journeyman-in-training license.

Applying For Your License

The application fee for licensure is $25 and the license fee for a company is $200. To apply for a license, please contact the Maine Office of Licensing and Regulation at 1-207-624-8603.

If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.

Exam Details

  • To schedule your exam, contact Thomson Prometric at 1-800-343-6001.
  • 70% is required to pass the exam
  • The exam fee is $50.
  • The Master and Journeyman Plumbing exams have 100 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
  • Topics on the exam include general knowledge and regulations, plumbing fixtures, water supply systems, drainage, waste, and vent, indirect waste, roof drain piping systems, and isometric analysis.

Books and References for the Exam

The following references are recommended to study for the examination. Please note that they are not permitted to be used during testing. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.

  • Maine Plumbing Laws and Rules
  • Maine Plumbing Tables 2015 UPC (Provided at testing site)
  • Plumbing Basics for Contractors
  • Uniform Plumbing Code 2015

Exam Review Education

As of this time, we do not offer training for this license. Please continue to check back with us as we are always adding new programs.

Continuing Education

There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.

Reciprocity Agreement

Reciprocity is considered on a case by case basis.

How It Works


Obtain pre-approval from the state (if applicable).


Purchase Exam Prep materials.


Schedule and pass your state exams.


Submit to the state your application, licensing fee, and proof of insurance.