Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your South Dakota Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
South Dakota Plumbing License (Contractor/Journeyman) – Books Only Package$129.99
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Plumbing Contractors and Journeyman Plumbers may engage in the furnishing and/or the use of materials and fixtures in the installation, extension, and alteration of all piping, fixtures, appliances and appurtenances in connection with sanitary drainage or storm drainage facilities, the venting system and the public water supply systems, within or adjacent to any building, structure, or conveyance; and including the installation, extension, or alteration of the storm water, liquid waste, or sewerage and water supply systems of any premises to their connection with any point of public disposal, or other regulated terminal.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Applicants for a plumbing contractor license shall show evidence of 6 years experience as a plumbing contractor, plumber, or plumber’s apprentice with at least 2 of those years as a plumbing contractor or plumber.
- During the 6 years, the applicant must have spent at least 1900 hours per year as a plumbing contractor, plumber, or plumber’s apprentice.
- Applicants for a plumbing contractors license must fill out an application and pay an examination and license fee of $260.
- Applicants for a journeyman plumbers license shall show evidence of 4 years experience as an apprentice plumber. During the 4 years, the applicant must have spent at least 1900 hours per year as an apprentice.
- Credit for military plumbing is given at the rate of 1 year credit for each 2 years in the military up to a maximum of 5 years of credit.
- Applicants for a journeyman plumbers license must fill out an application and pay an examination and license fee of $130.
- Applicants for a plumber apprentice license must fill out an application showing the plumber under which the applicant is working.
Applying For Your License
- The contractor license fee is $210, the Journeyman fee is $80
State Plumbing Commission
1320 East Sioux St.
Pierre, SD 57501
- $50 test fee
- Minimum score of 80%
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Only the following materials are permitted for examinations:
- Uniform Plumbing Code
Exam Review Education
We do not offer exam review for this license as of this time. Please continue to check back with us as we are always developing new programs.
South Dakota Plumbers are required to obtain 4 hours of continuing education each year. All continuing education must be completed before December 31st. Our programs satisfy your continuing education requirements and are approved by the state. We offer this online.
South Dakota has written agreements with the following states: Colorado, Minnesota, Montana and North Dakota. If you hold a current license in any of these states, you may register in South Dakota without examination upon completion of an application, payment of the appropriate fee and proof of your licensure from the state in which you are already licensed.