Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the construction field? Become Certified Builder Contractor! Study at home for your California General Building License Exam with our fully online, easy to take, and self-paced course.
California General Building Exam Review$241.99
Student’s enrolled in the Exam Review will receive the following items: Home Study Manual, Audio/Video Lectures, and Practice Exams. Please click product details for additional info.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A general building contractor in California is principally involved with any structure built that is for the support, shelter, and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels, or moveable property of any kind that requires in its construction the use of at least two unrelated trades.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A General Building Contractors License in California is required for projects that exceed $500.
- To become a licensed contractor, candidates will have to sit for two exams: business and law and their trade.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- Applicants are required to have 4 years of experience to qualify to take the exam. Experience must be at the journeyman, foreman or supervisor, contractor, or as an owner-builder.
- All applicants must have a working capital of at least $2,500. In addition, all applicants must also file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $10,000.
Applying For Your License
The exam fee is included with the $300 application fee. The initial license fee for two years is an additional $180. An application for licensure can be obtained from the California Contractors State License Board by calling 1-800-321-2752.
- The California General Building Contractor exam has approximately 100 questions and a time limit of 2 and 1/2 hours.
- A 72% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include estimation, plans, and specifications; framing and structural components; safety; core trades; and finish trades.
- The exam fee is included with the $300 application fee.
- After the board has approved your application, they will inform you of the testing date.
Books and References for the Exam
All exams in California are closed book.
Exam Review Education
We offer a home study courses that consists of a study guide, CDs, and DVDs.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Limited agreements with Arizona, Utah, and Nevada.