Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your North Carolina HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
North Carolina Heating Group 3 License – Books Only Package$1,330.88
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
North Carolina Application Processing$299.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the North Carolina Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Heating, Group 3, is deemed and held to be: the direct heating system of a building which produces heat to raise the temperature of the space within the building for the purpose of comfort in which electric heating elements or products of combustion exchange heat either directly with the building supply air or indirectly through a heat exchanger and using an air distribution system of ducts. This license also covers cooling work 15 tons or less. The two classifications for a North Carolina heating group 3 license are Class I and Class II. A Class I heating group 3 license is for commercial, residential, industrial and institutional buildings whereas a Class II heating group 3 license is for single family detached residential dwellings only.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Anyone who engages in or offers to engage in the business of heating must be licensed by the State of North Carolina.
- Applicants must submit a completed application to get pre-approval from the State Licensing Board to take the exam.
- You are required to have a total of 4000 hours to sit for any single heating group 3 examination. 2000 hours may include service or maintenance work but you must have a minimum of 2000 hours hands-on work in installation, layout and design of heating systems.
Applying For Your License
An application can be obtained from the North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors by calling (919) 875-3612.
- The heating group 3 exam is open book and has a fee of $100.
- 70% is required to pass.
- The examination is open book.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
These references are allowed to be taken into the examination. They are available for purchase from our online bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
- 2018 North Carolina Administration Code
- 2018 North Carolina Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 North Carolina Mechanical Code
- 2018 North Carolina Energy Conservation Code
- 2018 North Carolina Residential Code
- Business & Project Management for Contractors, 5th Ed.
- ACCA Duct Slide Rule
- Manual J - Residential Load Calculations
- Manual D - Duct Design
- Manual N - Commercial Load Calculations (Class I only)
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (Class I only
The following reference can be purchased directly from the North Carolina State Board of Examiners of Plumbing, Heating and Fire Sprinkler Contractors by calling (919) 875-3612.
- Business and Project Management for Contractors, North Carolina
The following reference may be viewed and printed online free of charge.
Exam Review Education
We do not offer a review for the North Carolina Heating, Group 3 exam at this time. Courses are always under development so please continue to check back with us. We do stock all of the approved reference materials in our bookstore. Please call us at 1-800-952-0910 or you can purchase online.
Requires 6-hours a year.
As of this time there are no agreements in place.