Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Virginia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Home Improvement Exam Review$164.99
The Virginia Exam Review includes the following:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Calculations
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*The Business and Law Exam must be passed to become a licensed contractor
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Home Improvement Contracting (Abbr: HIC) means that service which provides for repairs or improvements to one-family and two-family residential buildings or structures annexed to real property. The HIC specialty does not provide for electrical, plumbing, HVAC, or gas fitting functions. It does not include high rise buildings, buildings with more than two dwelling units, or new construction functions beyond the existing building structure other than decks, patios, driveways and utility out buildings.
The home improvement (HIC) classification includes, but is not limited to, the functions carried out by the following specialities:
- Masonry Contracting (BRK)
- Painting and Wallcovering Contracting (PTC)
- Roofing Contracting (ROC)
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
The Virginia Home Improvement Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the HIC classification.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a Class A, B, or C contractor.
- A Virginia Class A, B, or C license is required to be obtained along with passing this exam.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
- The Home Improvement exam has 50 questions and a time limit of 120 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Fee for this exam is $85.
- Topics on the Examination include windows and doors, rough carpentry and metal framing, painting and wall covering, siding, finish carpentry, insulation, roofing and exterior siding, drywall, concrete, masonry, and safety.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore.
- Code of Federal Regulations – 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA)
- 2018 International Residential Code for One and Two Family Dwellings
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- ASCC-1(05): The Contractor’s Guide to Quality Concrete Construction
- Craftsman’s Manual and Textbook
- Modern Masonry – Brick, Block, Stone
- Standard Practice for Installation of Rigid Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC) Siding and Soffit – ASTM D 4756 – 06
- Insulation Handbook
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Finish Carpenters’ Manual
- ANSI A117.1-2017 Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Virginia Home Improvement Contracting Examination in a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $149.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is fully narrated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.