Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your Tennessee Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Tennessee Mechanical Plumbing Contractor License (TN CMC-A)$219.99
A Plumbing Contractors license is required in Tennessee for projects that do exceed $25,000. For plumbing projects that do not exceed $25,000, candidates are required to obtain at least a Limited Licensed Plumber license. Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A licensed plumber in Tennessee can perform all aspects of plumbing, utility connections, irrigation systems, as well as gas piping to water heaters, laundry equipment, kitchen equipment, gas grills, and swimming pool heaters.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Plumbing Contractors license is required in Tennessee for projects that do exceed $25,000. For plumbing projects that do not exceed $25,000, candidates are required to obtain at least a Limited Licensed Plumber license.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- To sit for the exam, you must be pre-approved by documenting 3 years of experience.
- Workers Compensation is required
General liability insurance requirements are based on your monetary limit.
- If your monetary limit is up to $500,000, you will need to provide $100,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is $500,001 - $1,500,000, you will need to provide $500,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is greater than $1,500,000 you will need to provide $1,000,000 coverage
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 110 questions and a 295 minute time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include general knowledge and math; general requirements pertaining to administration, structural, backflow, materials and supports, joints and connections, storm drains, testing; water supply and distribution; fixtures including water heaters; drain, waste, and vent systems including indirect and special waste; traps, cleanouts, and interceptors; isometric analysis; gas appliances and piping; and OSHA safety.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters
Exam Review Education
Online Training: The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Tennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.