Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your Alaska Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Alaska Plumbing Mechanical Administrator (Commercial and Industrial) – Books Only Package$1,074.91
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Plumbing work includes the installation, alteration, or retrofitting of plumbing, fixtures, fixture traps, and domestic water, waste, storm, and vent pipes, including all of their devices, appurtenances, and connections, that extend no more than five feet horizontally outside the building or structure that they serve, and through which domestic water, waste, sewage, oil, drainage, and air are carried; piping, fixtures, or equipment that is an integral part of a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub filter or heating system, or solar energy system; fuel oil and gas piping and appliances, and their appurtenances either within the property lines of the building or structure to be served by the fuel oil and gas, or to the point of connection with the utility system; and lawn sprinkler systems that are connected to a potable water supply, including excavation and backfilling as necessary for proper installation of the system
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Licensees must possess a valid state of Alaska business license which is issued separately for $50
- Practical experience as a journeyman plumber for at least four of the six years immediately before the date of the application
- Management experience in plumbing work as a field superintendent or similar position for at least four of the six years immediately before the date of application
- A degree in mechanical engineering from a nationally or regionally accredited college or university plus practical experience as a journeyman plumber or field engineer for at least one of the three years immediately before the date of application; or
- A registration in the state as a professional mechanical engineer plus management experience in the mechanical contracting industry as a field engineer or similar engineering position for at least one of the three years immediately before the date of application.
Applying For Your License
New applications, $300 ($50 - nonrefundable application fee, $250 license fee). For changes, see fee schedule. Check or money order should be made payable to the State of Alaska.
Department of Community & Economic Development Division of Occupational Licensing
Contractor Registration Section
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- 100 questions and a time limit of 240 minutes
- Topics include: Alaska Statutes and Regulations, Burners, Controls, Air Conditioning Systems, Fuel Piping/Storage, Chimneys, Sheet Metal/Duct Systems, Testing and Inspections, Evaporative Cooling
- A score of 70% is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $150.
- The exam is given by PSI.
Books and References for the Exam
They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination.
- Alaska Centralized Statutes
- Alaska Centralized Regulations
- Alaska Construction Contractor Statutes and Regulations
- Alaska Electrical Administrator Statutes and Regulations
- Alaska Mechanical Administrators Statutes and Regulations, July 2005 (Available to Print Online)
- Uniform Plumbing Code
- Uniform Solar Energy Code
- Uniform Swimming Pool, Spa, and Hot Tub Code
- NFPA 54
References not allowed during the exam
- High Pressure Boilers
- Low Pressure Boilers
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters
- IPT's Pipe Trades Handbook
- Modern Plumbing
- Boilers Operator's Guide
Exam Review Education
We do not offer training for this license at this time, please check later as we add more content.
8-hours of continuing education per renewal. We offer this online.
Case by case basis.