Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Virginia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Residential Building Exam Review$164.99
The Virginia Residential Building Exam Review includes the following:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Calculations
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This type of contractor includes construction on real property owned, controlled or leased by another person of commercial, industrial, institutional, governmental, residential (single-family,two-family, or multi-family) and accessory use buildings or structures. This license also allows remodeling, repair, improvement or demolition of these buildings & structures.
The building (RBC) classification includes, but is not limited to, the functions carried out by the following specialties:
- Concrete Contracting (CEM)
- Home Improvement Contracting (HIC)
- Landscape Service Contracting (LSC)
- Masonry Contracting (BRK)
- Industrialized Building Contracting (IBC)
- Painting and Wallcovering Contracting (PTC)
- Roofing Contracting (ROC)
- Swimming Pool Construction Contracting (POL)
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
The Virginia Residential Building Contractor Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the Residential Building classification.
- The Virginia Residential Building Contractor examination is required for anyone who wants to perform framing work on new construction.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a contractor.
- A Virginia Class A, B, or C license is required to be obtained along with passing this exam.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
- The Residential Building Contractor Exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 160 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Fee for this exam is $85.
- Topics on the Examination include layout; excavation; foundations; framing; insulation; ventilation; windows, doors and skylights; exterior; decks, walks and ramps; finishing; masonry; swimming pools and hot tubs; prints, plans, and specifications; safety and employee protection; construction debris; cleanup and disposal.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore.
- 2015 International Residential Code
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Virginia, Contractor's Guide to Business, Law and Project Management
- Builder's Guide to Accounting
- Builder's Technical Supplement
- Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, 2015
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Virginia Residential Building Contractor Exam in a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $149.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.