Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Minnesota Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Minnesota Residential Building Contractor License – Books Only Package$154.98
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A residential building contractor is defined as a person (or company) in the business of contracting or offering to contract with an owner to build residential real estate by providing two or more special skills. A residential building contractor also may contract or offer to contract with an owner to improve existing residential real estate.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
All residential building contractors and residential remodelers who contract with an owner to construct or improve dwellings for habitation by one to four families (including detached garages) and perform two or more special skills must be licensed.
- $100,000 in general liability insurance is required.
- Workmen's compensation insurance is also required if you have any employees.
Applying For Your License
To apply for a license, please contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry at 651-284-5065.
- If you license is for jobs that are less than $1,000,000, the license fee is $100 and the recovery fund fee is $160.
- If you license is for jobs that are from $1,000,000 to $5,000,000, the license fee is $100 and the recovery fund fee is $210.
- If you license is for jobs that are greater than $5,000,000, the license fee is $100 and the recovery fund fee is $260.
- Two exam parts are required: business and law and the trade.
- Total of 110 questions and a time limit of 4 hours.
- 70% is required to pass.
- The exam fee is $50.
- The State gives the exam.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are recommended to study prior to the exam. You are not permitted to bring these references with you. They will be provided.
- Minnesota State Residential Code, 2015 edition
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we do not have a seminar or study guide available. Please continue to check back with us as we are always developing new programs.
The qualifying person of a licensed residential contractor company must provide proof of completion of 14 hours every 2 years. We offer this online.
There are no reciprocal agreements for this license as of this time.