Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Connecticut HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Connecticut S-2 Unlimited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Journeyperson Exam Prep$219.99
The Connecticut S-2 Unlimited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Journeyperson Exam Prep course covers heating and cooling principles, furnaces and heaters, hydronics, fuel gas systems, safety, boilers and more. Highlighting guides, practice quizzes, math and calculations, study tips, licensing information, and instructor support are also included.
Connecticut S-1 Unlimited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Contractor Exam Prep$219.99
The Connecticut S-1 Unlimited Heating, Piping, and Cooling Contractor Exam Prep course covers heating and cooling principles, furnaces and heaters, hydronics, fuel gas systems, safety, load calculations, boilers and more. Highlighting guides, practice quizzes, math and calculations, study tips, licensing information, and instructor support are also included.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Journeyperson HVAC: Allows all heating, piping and cooling work as so defined only while in the employ of a licensed contractor.
HVAC Contractor: Allows all heating, piping and cooling work as defined in section 20-330 of the Connecticut General Statutes.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note the Business and Law Examination is required for ALL Contractor licenses.
- Journeyperson: this license examination will be the completion of a registered apprenticeship program or equivalent experience and training.
- Unlimited: this license examination will be two (2) years as a properly licensed journeyperson or equivalent experience and training.
Applying For Your License
Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection
Occupational & Professional Licensing Division
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1630
- The Connecticut Unlimited Journeyperson HVAC exam has 70 questions and a time limit of 2 1/2 hours while the Unlimited HVAC Contractor exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
- Both examinations require a 70% to pass.
- Topics on both examinations include insulation; hangers and supports; sound, vibration and seismic control; heating and cooling principles; refrigerants and refrigeration; testing, adjusting and balancing; controls; machine room; a/c and heat pump equipment; furnaces and heaters; hydronics; chimney’s, flues, and vents; combustion air; fuel gas systems; ducts; chillers; ventilation and exhaust; safety; oil burners; and boilers. The Unlimited Contactor exam will also have load calculation problems.
- The fee for the exam is $65 and pre-approval is required.
- Please note that the Connecticut Business and Law exam is also required to be passed if you are wanting to obtain the contractor’s license.
- To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Mechanical Code
- NFPA 31: Standard for the Installation of Oil Burning Equipment
- NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code
- NFPA 56: Standard for Fire and Explosion Prevention
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards
- ACCA Ductulator
- NFPA 58
- During Cleaning and Purging of Flammable Gas Piping Systems Current Edition
- NFPA 56 Current Edition
The examination also pulls questions from the following references. However, these references are NOT permitted to be taken into the exam.
- Modern Hydronic Heating For Residential and Light Commercial Buildings
- Residential Oil Burners
- Steam Plant Operation
The following References are used ONLY on the Unlimited Contractor exam. They are permitted to be used during the examination.
- Manual N, Commercial Load Calculations
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we do not have a seminar or study guide available. However, we do have practice tests available for the 2012 International Mechanical Code. To enroll, click the following link or call our office toll free at 1-800-952-0910.
None at this time.
There are no reciprocal agreements for this license as of this time.