Discover Sign Language (Online Course)
Discover the fun of learning sign language and using your hands to communicate.
Discover Sign Language teaches you how to sign basic phrases and expand to complete sentences and see how to put it all together, so you can introduce yourself and start a conversation. Along the way you will learn signs for colors, numbers, where you live, family, and the activities you like to do and even the ones you don’t.
Throughout the course you will learn by watching videos that demonstrate how to make the signs and how to incorporate facial expressions to communicate in this beautiful language. This course is taught using the best practices of the industry with a minimum of audio support. Throughout, you will be immersed in silence, so you will gain an understanding of the perspective of Deaf people and sign language.
You will also gain an introduction to the world of the Deaf culture and explore topics such as lipreading, baby signs, and the career of interpreting. By the end of the course, when you meet a Deaf person, you will be ready to sign!
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Course Hours: 24.00