Explore a Career in Nursing (Self-Paced Tutorial)
This course will help you discover what it takes to become an LPN or RN and all the exciting and rewarding opportunities that await you in the different fields of nursing. You’ll also get information on different types of nursing and specialties and things you can do with additional education.
Are you interested in a career that’s meaningful and challenging with a great salary, benefits, and opportunities for advancement? You should think about becoming a nurse! No segment of the economy is growing faster than the healthcare industry, and nurses have more options than ever before.
As you progress through the course, you’ll learn about several different fields of nursing—from traditional bedside work to critical care areas, like the OR and ICU, to lesser known branches of the field, like nursing informatics. Basically, there’s a nursing specialty for everyone, whether your dream is an adrenaline-fueled job in a fast-paced emergency department or a desk job working for the government. You’ll also gain information about what you can do with a graduate degree in nursing, and take a quick peek at some of the other medical positions you might be interested in, like radiology technician or physical therapist. If you’ve ever thought about nursing, now is the time to find out more!
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
- Although the education, salary, and licensing information pertains to US nurses only, the skills and specialties described in this course are not specific to the US and therefore it is appropriate for international enrollment. Additionally, the information provided would also be relevant to anyone hoping to study or work in the US.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Course Hours: 24.00