Math Refresher (Self-Paced Tutorial)
Gain confidence in your basic math skills and start using math to your advantage.
Math isn’t about plugging numbers into formulas. It’s about knowing enough to make the numbers and formulas work for you. Math can be incredibly useful – but only if you understand how and when to apply it in your everyday life.
This course will show you how to use math to your advantage. You won’t find any theory or memorization here. The lessons that make up this course are filled with practical exercises and information that you can put to immediate use. You will find out some very interesting things about how calculators work, and then you will discover how best to get a handle on your income and expenses. You will be able to check your paystub, invoices, and bank statements for errors and overcharges, and you will become more skilled at handling money and comparing investment opportunities.
You will learn how to calculate percentages, including the proper amount to pay in tips, commissions, taxes, and discounts. You will find out how to calculate interest rates and you will develop a better understanding of mortgages, credit cards, and other types of loans. You will discover a handy method for converting one type of measurement to another, and you will be able to calculate areas correctly, so you don’t overspend on your next home improvement project. You will become adept at interpreting graphs, calculating the probability that something will (or won’t) happen, and understanding the statistics embedded in test results, polls, and even news stories.
- This course can be taken on either a PC or Mac device.
- A basic calculator with the ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and calculate square roots.
- PC: Windows 8 or newer.
- Mac: OS X Snow Leopard 10.6 or later.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox are preferred. Microsoft Edge and Safari are also compatible.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download the Acrobat Reader.
- Software must be installed and fully operational before the course begins.
- Email capabilities and access to a personal email account.
There are no prerequisites to take this course.
Instructional Material Requirements:
The instructional materials required for this course are included in enrollment and will be available online.
Course Hours: 24.00