Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your South Carolina HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
South Carolina Application Processing$249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the South Carolina Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
South Carolina Air Conditioning Exam Review$219.99
Please note that the Commercial Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam. Two years of residential and/or commercial experience within the last 5 years is required to qualify to test. This course includes sample figures, questions, math and calculations, as well as a highlighting guide for the approved references. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license allows the installation, replacement, alteration, and repair of air conditioning equipment and systems which consist of a number of components necessary to produce conditioned air for environmental heating and cooling or both, within buildings.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Commercial Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam.
- Two years of residential and/or commercial experience within the last 5 years is required to qualify to test.
Applying For Your License
$350 for a 2-year license and $175 for one year license. Submit an application to the state licensing board with documentation of your experience, financial information and your passing test scores.
Licensing Board for Contractors
Post Office Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211
- 80 questions and a time limit of 4 hours
- A score of 70% (35 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $60
- Topics include: General Tubing, General Piping, Air Compressors, Heating and Cooling Equipment, Pipe Assembly, Load Calculations, Piping Systems, Refrigerants, Heating and Cooling Principles, Drain Piping, Valves, Water Treatment for Mechanical Systems, Piping Specialties, Pumps, Mechanical Sound, Vibration, & Seismic Control, Piping Insulation, Hangers and Supports, Testing, Adjusting & Balancing (TAB), Safety, HVACR Control Fundamentals, Control Schematics & Wiring Diagrams, Exhaust Systems, Ventilation Equipment & Devices, Filtering Systems, Fiberglass Ducts, Metal Ducts, Machine Room, Air Conditioning Systems, Heat Pumps, Duct Systems Components, Mechanical Sheet Metal Devices/Systems, Furnaces (Warm Air Heating Equipment), Specialized Heaters, Chimneys, Flues, Vents, and Vent Connectors, Duct Conversions/Equivalencies, General Duct Systems Knowledge & Principles, LP Gas, Natural Gas, General Fuel Knowledge, Combustion Air
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- ACCA Duct Slide Rule
- International Fuel Gas Code 2018
- International Mechanical Code 2018
- Manual D, Residential Duct Systems
- Manual J, Residential Load Calculations
- Manual N, Commercial Load Calculations
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- OSHA 29. CFR 1926 for Contractors
- Pipefitter's Handbook
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the South Carolina Air Conditioning Contractor Exam in an online training format. The fee for the course is $199. The course includes sample figures, questions, math and calculations, as well as a highlighting guide for the approved references. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The Board does not require continuing education at this time.
HVAC agreements are in effect with Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, and Utah.