Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Alabama Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Alabama Building Construction License (Under Four Stories)$219.99
This exam prep course takes the learner through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing exactly what to highlight. After highlighting is completed in each book, you have the option to take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is fully narrated. Pre-approval from the state licensing agency is required to take the exam, and this preapproval can be obtained by submitting a completed application. General contractors must submit verification of 3 ye…
Alabama Application Processing$149.99 – $249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Alabama Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Building Under 4 Stories Construction: Shall include the construction of building structures, including modifications thereof, that do not exceed three stories in height, and any roof structure or component of such structure does not exceed fifty feet in height, which are intended for use for shelter, protection, comfort or convenience. BCU4 shall include the excavation and foundations for buildings and work incidental thereto for buildings less than three stories in height. BCU4 shall include interior nonstructural alterations and repairs to existing buildings exceeding three stories in height. In addition to the above BCU4 shall include the construction of building structures, including modifications thereof exceeding three stories in height on projects but only under the direction and supervision of a General contractor or Construction Manager licensed under Building Construction.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Pre-approval from the board is required for testing. This is done my submitting a completed application.
- General contractors must submit verification of 3 years experience and a financial statement with the completed application.
- Limits are based on the applicants net worth or working capital, whichever the lesser.
- A license is required for commercial work where the contract is $50,000 or more.
- Please note that this license does not cover residential construction.
- To become a licensed General Contractor, the General Contractor Business and Law exam must also be passed.
Applying For Your License
There is a $300.00 application fee. The application must be submitted to the board at least 30 days before the next board meeting. Which are normally held in January, April, July and October.
- The Alabama Building Construction Exam has 90 questions and a time limit of 230 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include estimating, bidding and preconstruction service; project management; project construction; project closeout; business and financial management.
- The fee for the exam is $96.
- To schedule your exam, you must first obtain pre-approval from the board. Then, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Building Code(Tabs)
- 2015 International Residential Code(Tabs)
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction (Tabs)
- Guide to Good Practice for Wood Trusses
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete(Tabs)
- Modern Masonry(Tabs)
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting(Tabs)
- Gypsum Construction Handbook(Tabs)
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joists Girders(Tabs)
- Manual of Construction with Steel Deck
- ACI 530-13 Building Code Requirements for Masonry Structures
- ACI 318-14 Building Code Requirements for Structural Concrete and Commentary
- International Building Code, 2015
- International Residential Code for One- and Two-Family Dwellings, 2015
2006 International Energy Conservation Code(No longer in print)
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Alabama Building Under 4 Stories Construction Exam through an online course format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option to take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is narrated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
This license has reciprocity with Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee. However, you must have held the same classification of license in these states for at least three years to qualify for reciprocity.