Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your California Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Requirements To Complete
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A contractor’s license in California is required for projects that exceed $500.
- To become a licensed contractor, candidates will have to sit for two exams: law and business; and their trade.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- The California Law and Business Exam has approximately 100 questions and a time limit of 2 and 1/2 hours.
- A 72% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include company start-up procedures; human resources; general business requirements; insurance and bonds; pre-contract considerations; proposals and contracts; contract compliance; public works; safety; and legal.
- The exam fee is included with the $300 application fee.
- After the board has approved your application, they will inform you of the testing date.
Books and References for the Exam
All exams in California are closed book.