Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your California Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
California Electrical Exam Review$219.99
Student’s enrolled in the Exam Review will receive the following items: Home Study Manual, Audio/Video Streaming Lectures, and Practice Exams. Please click product details for additional info.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
An electrical contractor in California places, installs, erects or connects any electrical wires, fixtures, appliances, apparatus, raceways, conduits, solar photovoltaic cells or any part thereof, which generate, transmit, transform or utilize electrical energy in any form or for any purpose.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- An Electrical Contractors License in California is required for projects that exceed $500.
- To become a licensed contractor, candidates will have to sit for two exams: business and law and their trade.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- Applicants are required to have 4 years of experience to qualify to take the exam. Experience must be at the journeyman, foreman or supervisor, contractor, or as an owner-builder.
- All applicants must have a working capital of at least $2,500. In addition, all applicants must also file a bond with the Registrar in the amount of $10,000.
Applying For Your License
The exam fee is included with the $300 application fee. The initial license fee for two years is an additional $180. An application for licensure can be obtained from the California Contractors State License Board by calling 1-800-321-2752.
- The California Electrical Contractor exam has approximately 100 questions and a time limit of 2 and 1/2 hours.
- A 72% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include system evaluation and design; rough wiring; finish wiring and trim; troubleshooting and repair; and safety.
- The exam fee is included with the $250 application fee.
- After the board has approved your application, they will inform you of the testing date.
Books and References for the Exam
All exams in California are closed book.
Exam Review Education
We offer a home study courses that consists of a study guide, CDs, and DVDs.
32 Hours of continuing education are required per renewal. We are state approved to offer this online. Call 800-952-0910 for details.
Limited agreements with Arizona, Utah, and Nevada.