Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Tennessee Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Tennessee Application Processing$249.99 – $299.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Tennessee Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Tennessee Electrical Contractor License (TN CE)$219.99
Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade. An electrical contractor’s services include low voltage, fire detection, sign wiring, and all residential, commercial and industrial building or structural wiring. This course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to …
Requirements To Complete
About This License
An electrical contractor services include low voltage, fire detection, sign wiring, and all residential, commercial and industrial building or structural wiring.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A contractors License in Tennessee is required for projects that exceed $25,000.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Please note that the Limited Licensed Electrician and the Limited Licensed Plumber classifications do NOT require the business and law exam to be passed.
- Workers Compensation is required
General liability insurance requirements are based on your monetary limit.
- If your monetary limit is up to $500,000, you will need to provide $100,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is $500,001 - $1,500,000, you will need to provide $500,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is greater than $1,500,000 you will need to provide $1,000,000 coverage.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 100 questions and a 260 minute time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include general knowledge and electrical installation requirements; building code requirements; services, feeders, and branch circuits; overcurrent protection; grounding and bonding; conductors and cables; raceways and boxes; hazardous locations, special occupancies, and special equipment; low voltage, alarms, signaling systems, and communications; lighting, signs and general use equipment; and OSHA/NFPA 70E safety.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70)
- 2012 International Building Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- NFPA 70E – Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
- NFPA 70E - Handbook for Electrical Safety in the Workplace, 2012
- Ugly’s Electrical References
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Exam Prep: $199.99
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Tennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.