Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Massachusetts Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Massachusetts Electrical Master/Journeyman Exam Review$219.99
MASTER: To become a master electrician, you are required to further your education. You must have spent at least one year as a journeyman and complete a 150-hour master electrician curriculum. JOURNEYMAN: to become a journeyman electrician you will need to enroll in a journeyman electrician program at one of the many community colleges or technical schools in the state. You will also need to do 8000 hours of practical work as an apprentice over four years to become a journeyman. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, inst…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
"Master electrician" means a holder of a Class A license and a person, firm, or corporation having a regular place of business who, by the employment of journeymen or apprentices, performs the work of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes; provided, however, that no journeyman electrician so employed shall have more than one apprentice under his supervision; and provided, further, that not more than one such apprentice shall be employed for each journeyman electrician purposes.
"Journeyman electrician" means a holder of a Class B license and a person qualified to do the work of installing, repairing, or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for heat, light, power, fire warning or security system purposes.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
There are extensive requirements that must be met before applying to take the exam.
Applying For Your License
- Applications for licensure are processed through PSI (1-800-733-9267).
- Master Electrician fee is $267. This fee includes Examination fees (Trade and Law), MA License application processing, and PSI application processing.
- Journeyman Electricians fee is $222. This fee includes Examination fees (Trade and Law), MA License application processing, and PSI application processing.
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- Candidates must pass 2 exams, business and law and the trade.
- The trade exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 240 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include general knowledge, services, grounding, bonding, motors, transformers, lighting, overcurrent protection, and alarm systems.
- Master Electricians are required to pay a fee of $267 to PSI. This fee includes Examination fees (Trade and Law), MA License application processing, and PSI application processing.
- Candidates must pass two exams, applied portion and a practical portion.
- The practical portion has 70 questions and a time limit of 180 minutes
- The applied portion has 30 questions and a time limit of 60 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass both portions.
- Topics on the practical portion include general knowledge, services, grounding, bonding, motors, transformers, lighting, overcurrent protection, and alarm systems.
- Topics on the applied portion include circuit calculations, electrical schematics and plans, materials and components, troubleshooting and testing, Massachusetts amendments, licensing laws and regulations.
- Journeyman Electricians are required to pay a fee of $222 to PSI. This fee includes Examination fees (Trade and Law), MA License application processing, and PSI application processing.
To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267. Scores are only valid for 90 days. If you do not pass both parts within 90 days, you will be required to pay all fees again.
Books and References for the Exam
The following reference is recommended to study for the examination. This reference can purchased at our online bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
The examinations are based on the following references. These references can purchased at our online bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910. Note that the American Electricians' Handbook and Ugly's Electrical References are NOT permitted to be used during testing for ANY exam portion.
Master Electrician Trade Exam
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- NFPA 72 - National Fire Alarm Code, 2010
- Massachusetts Electrical Code
- Massachusetts State Employment Law
- American Electricians' Handbook*
- Ugly's Electrical References*
Journeyman Electrician Practical Exam
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- NFPA 72- National Fire Alarm Code, 2010
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
21 Hours of continuing education are required every renewal cycle (3 years). We offer this online here:
The Electricians Board reciprocity is considered on a case by case basis.