Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Alaska Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Alaska General Contractor with Residential Endorsement – Books Only Package$548.93
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A general contractor may not undertake the construction or alteration, or submit a bid to undertake the construction or alteration, of a privately owned residential structure of one to four units or advertise or publicly represent that the general contractor may undertake work of this type in the state without a residential contractor endorsement.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Licensees must possess a valid state of Alaska business license which is issued separately for $50 per year.
- Requirement to show proof of insurance: Property damage- $20,000, Injury/Death to one- $50,000, Injury/Death to more than one- $100,000
- $20,000 Surety Bond
- Worker's Comp Insurance
Applying For Your License
Department of Community and Economic Development Division of Occupational Licensing Contractor Registration Section
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811
Application fee- $300
Registration fee- $235
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- 100 questions, 240 minutes
- A score of 70% to pass
- Exam fee is $150
- Topics include: Carpentry, finishes, concrete, thermal and moisture protection, masonry, safety, doors and windows, equipment and tools, metals, sitework, building code and inspection, general plan reading
- The exam is given by PSI, 800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are used on the examination. These references may be purchased from our online contractor's bookstore. Your references are permitted to be tabbed and highlighted.
- Alaska Centralized Statutes and Regulations
- Alaska Construction Contractor Statutes and Regulations
- OSHA Part 1926
- International Residential Code
- ANSI/AWC NDS Wood Design Standards
- ANSI/AF&PA SDPWS Special Design Provisions for Wind
- Northern Comfort: Advanced Cold Climate Home Building Techniques
- Alaska Residential Building Manual
The following reference are NOT allowed in the exam
- Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- BCSI: Guide to Good Practice for Handling and Installing, Restraining, and Bracing of Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Modern Masonry
Exam Review Education
We currently do not offer any training for this exam. Books can be purchased from our online bookstore.
Applicants are required to complete 16 hours of continuing education.