Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Maryland Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Maryland Home Improvement Practice Tests$115.99
Applicants must show 2 years of trade experience to qualify and General liability insurance shall be required to be maintained in the amount of $50,000. We offer a practice tests in order to prepare you for the Maryland examination. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license allows for alteration, remodeling, repair or replacement of a building or part of a building used as a residence. Home Improvement also includes work done on individual condominium units. It does not includes work done on apartment buildings that contain four or more single family units or work done on commonly owned areas of condominiums.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- General liability insurance shall be required to be maintained in the amount of $50,000.
- Applicants must show 2 years of trade experience.
Applying For Your License
To apply for a license, contact the Maryland Home Improvement Commission at 1-410-230-6309.
The application/license fees are as follows:
- $370 for each place of business of the contractor;
- $170 for a subcontractor license;
- $120 for a salesperson license.
- There is also a $15 fee for processing the application.
- Application processing time is usually 1 month.
- The Maryland Home Improvement Contractor exam has 55 questions and a time limit of 150 minutes while the Home Improvement Subcontractor exam has 35 questions and a time limit of 90 minutes.
- The contractor exam requires a 71% to pass while the subcontractor exam requires a 72% to pass.
- Topics on both exams include home improvement law; door-to-door sales act; labor laws; safety regulations; payroll taxes; business and financial; estimating.
- The contractor exam will also include questions pertaining to the door-to-door sales act.
- The fee for the exam is $63 and pre-approval is required. To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor's bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
MD Contractor and Subcontractor
- Maryland, Business and Project Management for Contractors
- Maryland, Home Improvement Salespersons
Exam Review Education
We offer a practice tests in order to prepare you for the Maryland examination.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
There are no reciprocal agreements for this license as of this time.