Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Michigan Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Michigan Residential Builder License – Books Only Package
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Michigan Application Processing$199.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Michigan Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license is for persons or firms who engage in the construction of a residential structure or combination residential and commercial structure, or who undertake the repair, alteration, addition, subtraction or improvement of a residential structure or combination residential and commercial structure for compensation other than wages for personal labor.
The Residential Builder license does not allow persons or firms to engage in plumbing, electrical, or mechanical (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) work.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A State approved 60 Hour Pre-Licensing course is required to be completed prior for sitting for the State Exams.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Michigan is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- A person who contracts with another to do residential, or combination residential and commercial, construction or remodeling on a project whose total value is $600 or more is required to be licensed as either a residential builder
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be financially stable
Applying For Your License
The application process starts with an applicant contacting PSI Services, LLC (PSI). may be reached at:
PSI Services, LLC
3210 E. Tropicana
Las Vegas NV 89121
telephone: (800) 733-9267
fax: (702) 932-2666
TTY (800) 735-2929
An applicant successfully completing all required sections of the examination will receive a report of their passing scores printed on the State of Michigan license application form. The license application must be filed with the State Board office within one year from the date a passing score is received on an application. If the examination is in separate parts, the examination shall be valid for one (1) year from the date the first portion of the examination is passed.
- 110 questions and a time limit of 180 minutes
- The business and law exam has 50 multiple choice questions and lasts 75 minutes
- Exam requires a 72% to pass
- Closed Book
- Topics on the Builder examination includes: layout, plans and specifications and estimating, excavation/sitework, footings and foundation walls, concrete, carpentry, masonry, roofing insulation, ventilation, windows/doors/skylights, siding installation, interior/exterior finishing, specialties, safety and employee protection including MiOSHA
- Business and Law topics include: Regulator and statutory requirements, Business organization, Bidding and estimating, Contracts, Project management and supervision, Accounting and finance, Personnel, Insurance, Bonds and liens, and Payroll taxes
- The fee for the exam is $56 and pre-approval is required
- To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are NOT permitted to be taken into the examination. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Stille-Derossett-Hale Single State Construction Code Act of 1972 as amended
- Michigan Residential Code, 2009
- Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Act 154 of 1974 as amended
- Administrative Rules for All Industries (All MIOSHA standards may be printed from the MIOSHA web site)
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting, 2011
- Carpentry Building Construction
- Guide to Good Practice for Handling, Installing, Restraining, and Bracing of Metal Plate Connected Wood Trusses
- The Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction
- Modern Masonry
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Walkers Insulation Techniques and Estimating Handbook
- Builder's Guide to Accounting
Exam Review Education
We do not offer exam review for this license as of this time.
21 hours of continuing education are required for each renewal. We offer this online.
There are no reciprocal agreements for this license as of this time.