Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Iowa Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Iowa Electrical Exam Review$219.99
If you earn at $2,000 a year, you must also be registered as a Contractor and Electrical contractors must obtain $1,000,000 liability insurance. . Pre-approval is required to sit for the examination. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here…
Iowa Application Processing$99.99 – $149.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Iowa Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Electrical Contractor -A person affiliated with an electrical contracting firm or business who is licensed by the board as either a Class A or Class B Master Electrician and who is also registered with the state of Iowa as a contractor.
Master Electrician - A person having the necessary qualifications and technical knowledge to properly plan, lay out, and supervise the installation of electrical wiring and equipment for light, heat, and power.
Journeyman Electrician - Persons having the necessary qualifications to wire for or install electrical wiring and equipment.
Residential Electrician - Residential electrical work is considered electrical work in a residence in which there are no more than four living units within the same building.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Pre-approval is required to sit for the examination.
- If you earn at $2,000 a year, you must also be registered as a Contractor.
- Electrical contractors must obtain $1,000,000 liability insurance.
Applying For Your License
To apply for a license, contact the Iowa Electrical Examining Board at 1-515-725-6145.
Most electrical licenses are good for 3 years however an apprentice license is good for only 1 year.
- Apprentice - $20.00
- Journey Person - $75.00
- Master - $375.00
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
- The Master exam has 100 questions and a time limit of 4 hours.
- The Journeyman exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
- The Master Residential exam has 60 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
- The Residential exam has 50 questions and a time limit of 2 hours.
- A 75% is required to pass all exams.
- The exam fee is $95.
- Topics on the examinations include general electrical knowledge, wiring and protection, wiring methods and materials, equipment for general use, special occupancies, special equipment, special conditions, and communication systems.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references were used to create the exam and can be purchased from our online bookstore.
- 2017 National Electrical Code
- Ugly's Electrical References (Not allowed in the exam)
These references are for the Master, Journeyman, and Residential exams.
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
18 hours of CEU are required for the full 3 year term.