Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Oregon Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Oregon Electrical Exam Review$164.99
To obtain this license you must Complete a two-year apprenticeship program or provide proof of equivalent experience, Submit two years’ (4,000 hours) work experience, and Submit proof of related classroom training. We currently offer the Oregon Electrical Review in an online practice test format. Our electrical practice includes over 400 real NEC questions. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Limited Residential (LR): This license allows the holder to perform electrical installations on single or multi-family dwelling units not exceeding three floors above grade.
The following restrictions apply to the holder of this license:
A. Licensee must work under the supervision, direction, or control of a general supervisor electrician.
B. Licensee is limited to making installations in residential dwelling units.
Electrician General Journeyman (J): This license category will allow the holder to perform any type of electrical installation.
Electrical Contractor license is a specialized license allowing a company to engage in the business of making electrical installations. This license is required in addition to licensing and bonding required by the Construction Contractors Board. License fee $250.00
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Complete a two-year apprenticeship program or provide proof of equivalent experience.
- Submit two years' (4,000 hours) work experience.
- Submit proof of related classroom training.
- Submit a copy of your high school diploma or transcript, a GED certificate, or a military record (DD214) showing proof of high school completion.
- Pass a written examination. (Residential/Journeyman)
- For the Electrical contractor application you need the signature of general supervising electrician and their license number.
- All other requirements, see this PDF
Applying For Your License
$110.00. Includes a $10.00 exam fee and $100.00 application fee. The application fee includes the first license cycle after passing the examination. All application fees are non-refundable. Download application form here.
DCBS - Building Codes Division
PO BOX 14470
Salem, OR 97309 - 0404
- Applicants approved to take an examination will be sent a "Letter of Authorization." This letter will explain the procedure for taking the examination and the address and telephone number of the test site selected.
- Examination date and time is scheduled by the applicant with the test site office personnel. Upon arrival at the test site, the applicant must provide photo identification and a Letter of Authorization. If the examination is not taken within 60 days of the date of the authorization letter the applicant must submit a re-application form with the appropriate fee to schedule another exam date.
- Applicants are requested to bring their own pencils and calculator; scratch paper will be provided. Programmable calculators and laptop computers are not permitted.
- Limited Residential examinations: Open-book examination: 52 multiple-choice questions (three-hour time limit).
- General Journeyman examinations: Open-book examination with 52 multiple-choice questions (three-hour time limit).
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Only the following materials are permitted for OPEN-BOOK examinations:
- National Electrical Code (NFPA 70)
- National Electrical Code Handbook
- Oregon Revised Statutes Chapter 479
- Oregon Administrative Rules Chapter 918
- American Electrician's Handbook
- Electrical Black Book
- Ugly's Electrical Reference
- Ferm’s Fast Finder Index
- Tom Henry’s Key Word Index
- 2017 Oregon Electrical Specialty Code
- Personal printed or hand-written notes
- A silent, non-printing, non-programmable calculator
Exam Review Education
We currently offer the Oregon Electrical Review in an online practice test format. Our electrical practice includes over 400 real NEC questions. Each time you take the practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
Online Practice Tests: $149.99
The following hours are needed for the corresponding electrical license:
Arkansas, Idaho, Maine, Massachusetts, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming. General Journeyman Electrician license reciprocity with the state of Washington is now available.