Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your Rhode Island Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Rhode Island Plumbers License (Master/Journeyman) – IPC Practice Tests$98.99
This course contains 230 questions based on your International Plumbing Code. Each time you take a quiz the questions are randomly generated from our database. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
- Assemble pipe sections, tubing and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing and welding equipment.
- Cut openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
- Fill pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Hang steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
- Install pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A master license requires five years of experience and hold a journeyman license for at least one year.
- A journeyman license requires four years of apprentice plumber experience.
Applying For Your License
$75 to apply for the exam. Licenses are good for one year but all expire on June 30th each year.
Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training
Division of Professional Regulation
1511 Pontiac Ave.
P.O. Box 20247
Cranston, RI 02920-0943
- 50 multiple choice questions
- $75 test fee
- Topics include: Terminology and calculations, Materials and material standards, Joints and connections, Traps and cleanouts, Plumbing fixtures, Hangers and supports, Indirect waste piping, Water distribution systems, Sanitary drainage systems, Vents and venting systems, Cross connections, Storm drains, Related subjects and Inspecting and testing
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Only the following materials are permitted for examinations:
- International Plumbing Code
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we do not have a seminar or study guide available. However, we do have practice tests available for the International Plumbing Code.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
If you have a master license in another state that you got by passing an exam, you can use it to qualify to take the Rhode Island exam. If you have a plumbing license in another state, you can apply with the Department to use it to qualify to take the Rhode Island journeyman exam.