Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Nevada Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Nevada Application Processing$299.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Nevada Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Nevada General Building Contractor Exam Review$219.99
To become a licensed contractor in Nevada, applicants must sit for two exams: Contractor Management Survey and the trade. All applicants must submit current financial statements to the state licensing board. Monetary limits are set based on financial standing. If seeking a financial limit less than $1,000,000 the statement must be either prepared by a certified public accountant, self-prepared on a form prescribed by the Board, or prepared using accounting software and accompanied by an affidavit. The program takes you through each one of the reference books th…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
The Nevada General Building Contractor License - B allows for:
- Construction or remodeling of buildings or structures for the support, shelter and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels or movable property of any kind.
- A person who exclusively constructs or repairs mobile homes, manufactured homes or commercial coaches is not a general building contractor.
- A general building contractor may not perform plumbing, electrical, refrigeration, air-conditioning or fire protection without the appropriate license concerning that trade.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- To become a licensed contractor in Nevada, applicants must sit for two exams: Contractor Management Survey and the trade.
- All applicants must submit current financial statements to the state licensing board. Monetary limits are set based on financial standing. If seeking a financial limit less than $1,000,000 the statement must be either prepared by a certified public accountant, self-prepared on a form prescribed by the Board, or prepared using accounting software and accompanied by an affidavit.
- When seeking a monetary limit of $1,000,000 or more, the financial statement must be reviewed and audited by a CPA.
- FOUR YEARS of experience as a journeyman, foreman, supervising employee or contractor in the field of work fr which a license is being sought. The four years must have occurred within the previous 10 years.
- A LICENSE BOND is required for each new license. This can range from $1,000 - $500,000. The Board will establish the amount for you.
- All contractors are also required to carry worker's compensation insurance.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure must be obtained from the Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-775-688-1141.
The application must include:
- Includes a $300 non-refundable application fee. (A $600 biennial license fee will be required after approval of your application before your license can be issued.)
- Make sure to include four reference certificates to support your experience.
- A detailed “Resume of Experience” that outlines your past work experience and educational background, if you are relying on education to fulfill part of the experience requirement
- The Nevada General Building Contractor examination has 80 questions and a time limit of 3 hours.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; metals; roofing; associated trades; general code; plan reading and estimating; and OSHA safety.
- The fee for the exam is $85 for the first portion or $130 when taking two exams (Business Law and Trade) and a 70% is required to pass. To schedule your exams, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The examination is based on the following references. These references can purchased at our online bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Building Code (permitted to be used during the exam)
- ACI 318 2014 (permitted to be used during the exam)
- ACI 530, 2013 (permitted to be used during the exam)
- Contractor Guide to Quality Concrete Construction (permitted to be used during the exam)
- Code of Federal Regulations, OSHA
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joists Girders
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- Training Manual for Un-Bonded Post Tensioning
- Nevada One Call (Available to print online)
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Nevada General Building Contractor License - B exam in home study/tutorial format. The fee for the online class is $199. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Nevada has limited reciprocal agreements with California, Arizona and Utah that recognize the experience qualifications for certain trades and may eliminate the requirement for a trade examination. Plumbing, Electrical and Fire Protection are excluded from the agreements.