Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Hawaii Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Hawaii General Building Contractor – Books Only Package
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
The exam covers the broad range of activities performed by a General Building Contractor as defined in Title 16, Chapter 77 of the Hawaii Administrative Rules. Examination questions are based on research of accepted business and trade practices as determined by surveyed current professionals in the field of General Building.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Contractors License (General Contractor) is required in Hawaii when the project exceeds $2,500.
- Every applicant must pass the Business and Law (Part I) and Trade Specific (Part II) exam.
- Credit report covering the previous 5 years on each individual applicant
- A current financial statement prepared and signed by a CPA
- A current state tax clearance from the Dept. of Taxation
- Must submit a certificate of insurance for worker's compensation and certificate from their insurer showing liability coverage for: Property damage- $50,000 per occurrence and Bodily Injury- $100,000 per person and $300,000 per occurrence.
- A license is required to offer to undertake work which requires a license.
- All licenses expire on September 30th of the even-numbered year. Renewal applications are mailed to all current licensees approximately 45 days before the license expires. Licensees must submit their renewal application and all required documents and fees by September 30 of the even-numbered year.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure must be submitted to the Board by the 20th of the month for review by the Board during the following month. (The Board does not review applications or meet in December.) Once the application is approved, the qualifying individual or responsible managing employee must successfully complete the appropriate licensing examinations. Upon completion of the examination process, the applicant must submit license fees, and proof of liability and workers compensation insurance.
- Application fee - $50.00 per application. You may apply for more than one classification per application. A separate application is required for each contracting entity and RME.
- License fee – Contracting entity - $545.00 if licensed between October 1st of the even-numbered year and September 30th of the odd-numbered year, and $415.00 if licensed between October 1st of the odd-numbered year and September 30th of the even-numbered year.
- License fee - RME - $335.00 if licensed between October 1st of the even-numbered year and September 30th of the odd-numbered year, and $255.00 if licensed between October 1st of the odd-numbered year and September 30th of the even-numbered year.
- Renewal fee - $275.00
- All exams are closed-book.
- $65.00 per part (Part I – Business & Law, and Part II – Trade).
- 80 Questions – Four-hour time limit
- 75% Correct Required to Pass
- Topics include: Rough Carpentry, Concrete and Rebar, Associated Trades, Finish Carpentry, Exterior Finishes, Tools, Equipment and Safety, Excavation and Sitework, and Roofing.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are NOT permitted to be taken into the examination. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures
- Excavating and Grading Handbook
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Modern Masonry
- 2003 International Building Code
- OSHA Part 1926
- Painting and Decorating Craftsman’s Manual
- NRCA Roofing and Waterproofing Manual
Exam Review Education
As of this time we do not offer any classes for this content. Please check back in the future for possible material. However, we do stock all of the recommended references in our online bookstore.