Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Alabama Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Alabama Home Builder License – Books Only Package$933.94
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
One who constructs a residence or structure for sale or who, for a fixed price, commission, fee, or wage, undertakes or offers to undertake the construction or superintending of the construction, or who manages, supervises, assists, or provides consultation to a homeowner regarding the construction or superintending of the construction, of any residence or structure which is not over three floors in height and which does not have more than four units in an apartment complex, or the repair, improvement, or reimprovement thereof, to be used by another as a residence when the cost of the undertaking exceeds ten thousand dollars ($10,000).
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
An Alabama Home Builders license is required for any residential project that exceeds $10,000 or more in value
- Pre-approval is not required to sit for this examination and there are no requirements for continuing education.
- Applicants are required to pass a Business and Law exam along with the Homebuilder's Skill Exam.
Applying For Your License
Applicants are required to submit a credit report and document experience on the application. The license fee is $350.00. The processing time is approx. 3-4 weeks. Applications must be submitted 7 days before the next scheduled board meeting. The board meets once per month.
- The examination fee is $130.00 if both exams are taken on the same day, whereas if the exams are taken on separate days each exam would cost $80. This license has reciprocity with Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee
- The Alabama Home Builder Exam has 80 questions
- The Business and Law Exam has 40 questions
- A time limit of 4 hours for the Home Builders Exam
- A time limit of 2 hours for the Business and Law Exam
- A 70% is required to pass
- Topics on the exam include sitework, foundations; concrete and reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; associated trades; roofing; estimating, plan reading and general code requirements; OSHA safety; licensing; estimating and bidding; liens; financial; payroll and taxes; personnel and labor; project management; contracts; business and organization; risk management; and safety record keeping and environmental
- To schedule your exams, contact PROV at 1-866-720-7768
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Residential Code
- Alabama, Business and Project Management for Home Builders
- Residental Home Builder Study Guide
OR, the following books can be used to substitute for the Residential Home Builder Study Guide.
- Basic Safety
- Masonry & Sitework for the Residential Contractor
- Study Guide for Residential Carpentry & Repair
Exam Review Education
As of this time we do not offer any classes for this content. Please check back in the future for possible material. However, we do stock all of the recommended references in our online bookstore.
As of this time, there is no continuing education for this license.
Alabama has a reciprocity agreement for this license with Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana.