Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Ohio HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Ohio HVAC/Refrigeration License and Exam$219.99
Passing the Business and Law Exam is required to be licensed and you are required to have prior approval from the State Board before testing. You are required to have 5 years documentable experience in the classification desired or have been an engineer with 3 years of business experience in the construction industry. We offer review for the exam in an online format. The online exam review includes hundreds of questions and covers key concepts that you will be tested on. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students an…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A licensed HVAC contractor Ohio can perform all aspects of heating and cooling including fuel gas systems and appliances. This also covers all associated equipment and ductwork.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Passing the Business and Law Exam is required to be licensed.
- Required to have prior approval from the State Board before testing.
- Have 5 years documentable experience in the classification desired or have been an engineer with 3 years of business experience in the construction industry.
- In addition to the $25.00 license fee, individuals must also send proof of $500,000 minimum contractor liability insurance
Applying For Your License
Complete the license application accurately and mail it with a $25 application fee in the form of a check or money order made payable to the Treasurer, State of Ohio at the address listed below. The license application fee is nonrefundable. Upon receipt of your application, OCILB will determine your eligibility to take the examination.
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of Industrial Compliance
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board
6606 Tussing Road, P.O. Box 4009
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9009
- HVAC Exam: 100 questions and a time limit of 4 hrs. Refrigeration Exam: 60 questions and a time limit of 4 hrs.
- Open Book
- Exam requires a 70% to pass.
- Topics on the examination includes: General knowledge, warm air and heating distribution, ventilation and exhaust systems, air conditioning, piping systems, equipment and appliances, testing and inspections.
- Call PSI for testing info at 1-800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are allowed in the testing center:
- Ohio Mechanical Code 2017
- International Fuel and Gas Code, 2015 (HVAC exam only, not allowed in the Ohio Refrigeration Exam)
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the exam in an online format. The online exam review includes hundreds of questions and covers key concepts that you will be tested on. To enroll, click the following link or call our office toll free at 1-800-952-0910.
We also offer practice tests to help you pass the business and law exam. Both courses can be purchased together or separately.
10 hours total per year.
Agreements with Kentucky and Louisiana.