Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Virginia HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Insulation and Weather Stripping Contracting Exam Review$164.99
The Virginia Insulation and Weather Stripping Contracting Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the INS classification. This license includes installation, repair, improvement, or removal of materials classified as insulating media used for the purpose of temperature/sound control of buildings. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Insulation and Weather Stripping Contracting (Abbr: INS) means the service that provides for the installation, repair, improvement, or removal of materials classified as insulating media used for the sole purpose of temperature control or sound control of residential and commercial buildings. It does not include the insulation of mechanical equipment and ancillary lines and piping. The RBC and CBC classifications and the HIC and CIC specialties also provide for this function.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
The Virginia Insulation and Weather Stripping Contracting Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the INS classification.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a Class A, B, or C contractor.
- A Virginia Class A, B, or C license is required to be obtained along with passing this exam.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
- The Insulation and Weather Stripping Contracting Exam has 40 questions and a time limit of 90 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Fee for this exam is $85.
- Topics on the Examination include General Knowledge and Theory, Plan Reading, Materials, Estimating, and TakeOffs, Spray-On Application, Batt/Roll Insulation, Blown or Loose-Fill Insulation, Rigid-Board and Reflective Insulation, Ventilation, Vapor Retarders, and Safety.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore.
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Insulation Handbook
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Virginia Insulation and Weather Stripping Contracting Examination in a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $149.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. The program is fully narrated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.