Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Florida HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Florida Application Processing$249.99 – $349.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Florida Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Florida Mechanical Contractor License – Books Only Package$1,703.82
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A "mechanical contractor" means a contractor whose services are unlimited in the execution of contracts requiring the experience, knowledge, and skill to install, maintain, repair, fabricate, alter, extend, or design central air-conditioning, refrigeration, heating, and ventilating systems, including duct work in connection with a complete system.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A Mechanical Contractor's license is required in Florida for any job that involves the trade. Anyone seeking to become a mechanical contractor in Florida is required to sit for two exams, business and finance and the trade.
- Applicants must document four years of experience. Applicants are also required to provide a credit report and financial statement that is no more than 12 months old. A net worth of $2,500 - $20,000 (depending on classification) is required.
- The minimum general liability insurance that is required for licensure is $100,000 for bodily injury and $25,000 for property damage.
Applying For Your License
Applications can be obtained from the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board by calling 1-850-487-1395. The application fee when applying for initial licensure:
For Individual Only
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $249.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $309.
Qualifying a Business
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $308.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $208.
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- The examination is divided into two 4 1/2 hour sections with one section in the a.m. and the other in the p.m.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- The fee for the exam is $135.
- You will be scheduled for the examination date and site that you selected on your application.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Troubleshooting Handbook
- Energy Efficient Building Construction in Florida
- Energy Systems Analysis Management
- Fibrous Glass Duct Construction Standards
- Florida Energy Code, 2017
- Florida Building Code for Fuel and Gas 2017
- Florida Contractors Reference Manual
- Florida Mechanical Code 2017
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards-Metal & Flexible
- NFPA 90A-Installation A/C and Vent. Systems
- NFPA 90B - Installation of Warm Air & A/C Systems,
- NFPA 96 Standard Ventilation Control and Fire Protection, 2014
- NFPA 99 Health Care Facilities, 2015
- OSHA 29. CFR 1926 for Contractors
- Pipefitter's Handbook
- Trane A/C Manual
- Trane Ductulator
- Trane Reciprocating Refrigeration
Exam Review Education
As of this time we do not offer any classes for this content. Please check back in the future for possible material. However, we do stock all of the recommended references in our online bookstore.
14 hours of continuing education is required. We offer this online.
Florida has no reciprocity agreements; however, does endorse certain examinations from California, Georgia, and North Carolina for electrical contractors in select categories. The endorsements from Georgia include alarm and speciality categories.