Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Louisiana HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Louisiana Mechanical Contractor – Books Only Package
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Louisiana Application Processing$249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Louisiana Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A Mechanical Contractor is authorized to install or service and repair or replace heating and air conditioning systems including natural gas heating and air conditioning appliances. Also includes specifically the servicing, repair, or replacement of those appliances in manufactured housing set up as stationary housing, but excluding the piping to such appliances.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Business and Law examination is required for licensure as a mechanical contractor in the State of Louisiana.
- Any person, firm, partnership, co-partnership, association, corporation, or other organization bidding on or performing a job in the amount of $50,000 or more the licensee shall hold the major classification or subdivision thereunder of electrical work or mechanical work as the case may be.
- On all jobs involving mechanical or electrical work the board shall consider the monetary value of the electrical or mechanical material and/or equipment furnished by the owner or builder, if any, in determining the amount of electrical or mechanical work involved.
Applying For Your License
Please call the board to request an application.
State Licensing Board For Contractors
2575 Quail Drive, Baton Rouge LA 70808
Phone: (225) 765-2301 · Fax: (225) 765-2431
- 100 Questions – Four-hour time limit
- Closed Book
- 70% Correct Required to Pass
- Exam fee of $120
- Topics include: Air distribution systems and ventilation, piping systems and hydronics, instrumentation, solar and alternative energy systems, HVAC and refrigeration systems, project management, estimating and plan reading, plumbing and gas piping
Books and References for the Exam
A calculator will be provided for you at the test site. You will not be allowed to use your own. These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are NOT allowed in the testing center:
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Trane Air Conditioning Manual
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- AHRI Fundamentals of HVAC/R
- Solar Water Heating Systems: Fundamentals and Installation
- Basic Plumbing with Illustrations
- MCAA Project Manager's Manual
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we do not offer training for this license. Please continue to check back with us as we are always adding new programs.
None at this time
There are formal written reciprocal agreements with the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia as well as the North Carolina Electrical Examiners' Board. The Business and Law examination cannot be waived for out-of-state contractors. However, reciprocity is not automatic, applications will be considered on an individual basis.