Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Alabama Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license covers the installation of metal studs and metal stud framing and the installation, repair, and finishing of drywall.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Pre-approval from the state is required before testing.
- Alabama Business and Law exam is also required.
- Applicants must document at least 3 projects and 3 years of experience in the insulation trade.
- A minimum net worth of $10,000. There are also working capital requirements. Bid limits depend on financial status
Applying For Your License
$300 application fee plus a $100 fee that is donated to construction education.
To apply, contact the state of Alabama at 1-334-272-5030.
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- The Alabama Metal Stud and Drywall Contractor exam consists of 40 questions and has a time limit of 120 minutes.
- 70% required to pass.
- The examination is OPEN book.
- $96 for 1 portion or $192 for both the trade and the business and law exam.
- Topics include Estimating and Plan Reading, Materials and Installation, Taping, Special Applications, and Safety.
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are used on the examination. These references may be purchased from our online contractors bookstore. Your references are permitted to be tabbed and highlighted. Except for Code books, you can base your answers on later editions of references as they become available.
- OSHA 1926
- 2015 International Building Code
- 2015 International Residential Code
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Alabama Metal Stud and Drywall Contractor Exam through an online course format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option to take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. The program is narrated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Agreements with Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee after holding the license for at least 3 consecutive years.