Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your Louisiana Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Louisiana Application Processing$249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Louisiana Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Louisiana Journeyman/Master Plumbing License$164.99
All applicants who desire to become licensed as a plumbing contractor need to make an application to the board need to state the classification of work the applicant desires to perform from a list of major classifications. Please note that the Business and Law examination is required for licensure in the State of Louisiana. The program takes you through each one of the recommended code reference books showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
As of January 1, 2017, to qualify for examination, you must have completed an approved apprenticeship program. Please contact the Louisiana Workforce Commission to find an approved program near you. If you already have 8,000 hrs or 5 years experience working under a licensed Louisiana plumbing company, you may be eligible to participate in the waiver process which allows you to show proof of either W-2’s or official payroll documentation of time in order to take the journeyman exam. Please contact the State Plumbing Board for further information.
To qualify for examination, you must have a current Louisiana Journeyman Plumbing License.
A Tradesman Plumber License allows a person to repair existing plumbing systems and is licensed by the board to repair existing plumbing systems in one– and two-family dwellings at the direction of a master plumber and without the supervision of a journeyman plumber. (Repair shall mean and be limited to the performance of repairs to existing plumbing, the clearing of stoppages or repairing leaks.) No Tradesman Plumber License shall permit any tradesman plumber to do the work of a journeyman plumber.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Business and Law examination is required for licensure in the State of Louisiana.
- All applicants who desire to become licensed as a plumbing contractor need to make an application to the board need to state the classification of work the applicant desires to perform from a list of major classifications.
Applying For Your License
$100 license fee. Please call the board to request an application.
State Licensing Board For Contractors
P.O. Box 14419 · Baton Rouge, LA 70898
Phone: (225) 765-2301 · Fax: (225) 765-2431
- 80 questions with a 3-hour time limit
- Exam fee is $125
- Topics include: potable and nonpotable water systems, sanitary and non-sanitary waste and sewerage construction, administrative licensing, permits and inspections, general knowledge and regulations, water heaters, fixtures, drainages systems, cleanouts, vents and venting, traps and interceptors, materials and hangers, isometric analysis, piping, valves and more.
- Part I - 80 multiple choice questions on General Plumbing Knowledge - 3 hours
- Part II - 25 multiple choice questions on Practical Plumbing Knowledge - 2 hours
- Part III - 40 multiple choice questions on Business Law and Knowledge - 2 hours
- Exam fee is $100
- Topics include: potable and nonpotable water systems, sanitary and non-sanitary waste and sewerage construction, drainage systems and sewers, water supply and backflow prevention, general code, materials and installation practices, excavation, fixtures and trim, inspection and testing, safety, terminology, plans and specifications, isometrics, layout project management, risk and financial management, planning, organization and licensing, labor laws, tax laws.
- The Tradesman Plumber License includes both a written exam and a two (2) part practical exam.
- Written Examination is 80 questions, 3 hours, with a 70% required to pass.
- Practical Exam is Task Oriented Projects Focused on Evaluating Service and Repair Skillsets of a Tradesman Plumber: Allotted Time for Practical Exam: A total of Thirty (30) Minutes (Fifteen (15) Minutes per Practical). Total Combined Time for Examination: Three (3) Hours and Thirty (30) Minutes. Referenced Materials and Tools Allowed During Testing: Code Books, Measuring Tape, Calculator, and Pencil.
Books and References for the Exam
These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Journeyman License Exam Books
Master License Exam Books
- Louisiana Master Plumber Guide to Business, Law and Project Management
- TITLE 51 PUBLIC HEALTH SANITARY CODE PART XIV (14) PLUMBING
- 2000 Edition Louisiana Plumbing Code
- 2012 International Plumbing Code
- 2011 National Electrical Code
- Louisiana State Revised Statutes RS 37:1252 – 1378, RS 40:4 – 1730.53, RS
- Louisiana Title 46, Professional and Occupational Standards, Part LV. Plumbers
- Louisiana Administrative Code, Title 17, Construction, Part I. Uniform Construction Code
- ATMOS Energy Website, Bulletin: ATMO-15-009 Atmos Cross Bore Brochure
- Common Ground Alliance (CGA) 811
This book is NOT permitted to be taken into the exams, but is recommended to prepare for the exam.
- OSHA 1926
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Louisiana Plumbing exams through online exam review. The program takes you through each one of the recommended code reference books showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Our practice tests include over 400 questions and are designed to be the best and most efficient way to prepare you for your examination. Each time you take the practice test, the questions our randomly generated from our database so you never see the same test twice. For more information on our online class, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910 or click Buy Online Training Now to enroll.
None at this time
There are formal written reciprocal agreements with the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, Utah as well as the North Carolina. The Business and Law examination cannot be waived for out-of-state contractors. However, reciprocity is not automatic, applications will be considered on an individual basis.