Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Virginia HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Refrigeration Contracting Exam$164.99
The Virginia Refrigeration Contracting Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the REF classification. This license includes the installation, repair, or removal of any refrigeration equipment (excluding HVAC equipment). @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
"Refrigeration Contracting" (Abbr: REF) means that service which provides for installation, repair, or removal of any refrigeration equipment (excluding HVAC equipment). No electrical, plumbing, gas fitting, or HVAC functions are provided by this specialty. This specialty is intended for those contractors who repair or install coolers, refrigerated casework, ice-making machines, drinking fountains, cold room equipment, and similar hermetic refrigeration equipment. The HVAC classification also provides for this function.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
The Virginia Refrigeration Contracting Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the REF classification.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a Class A, B, or C contractor.
- A Virginia Class A, B, or C license is required to be obtained along with passing this exam.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
- The Refrigeration exam has 50 questions and a time limit of 120 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Fee for this exam is $85.
- Topics on the Examination include General Knowledge and Requirements, Refrigeration Piping, Refrigerants, Refrigeration Systems and Controls, Testing and Inspection.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore.
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- 2012 or 2015 International Mechanical Code
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Virginia Refrigeration Contracting Examination in a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $149.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. The program is fully narrated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.