Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Georgia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Georgia Residential – Basic Contractor Exam Prep$219.99
A Contractors License (Residential Basic) is required in Georgia when the project exceeds $2,500. Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination. Please note that the Georgia Business and Law exam is also required to be passed to obtain your contractor’s license. Applicants must have 2 years of proven experience working as or be employed by a residential contractor. We offer review for the Georgia Residential Basic Contractor Exam Review through home study/ online course format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.
Georgia Application Processing$249.99 – $449.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Georgia Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Georgia Contractor Live Seminar (Seminar Only)$525.99
@HomePrep offers this seminar to prepare you for the Georgia Residential and Residential Light Commercial License Exam as well as the Business and Law Exam. This 2-Day seminar will guide you through highlighting and tabbing the associated exam books for fast and easy reference during the test. Remember this link is for the seminar only. If you purchase the complete package it will include the seminar fee, all required reference books by license type, associated tabs and access to our online course for extra review. This course is taught by a construction industry expert with over 30 years’ practical experience in the construction trades.
Georgia Contractor Live Seminar – Residential Basic
Our live seminars are taught by industry professional with over 30 years’ experience. If you purchase a any seminar package, all required books for your exam (based on license type) are included in your bundle along with pre-printed tabs. You will also receive an online exam prep course you can access 24/7 up to 1 year from purchase.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A Residential Contractor is a person who performs contractor work or activity relative to detached one-family and two-family residences and one-family townhouses not over 3 stories in height. Also included are their accessory buildings and structures. There are no individual project size limitations.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Contractors License (Residential Basic) is required in Georgia when the project exceeds $2,500.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- Please note that the Georgia Business and Law exam is also required to be passed to obtain your contractor’s license.
- Applicants must have 2 years of proven experience working as or be employed by a residential contractor.
- had significant responsibility for the successful performance and completion of at least 2 projects falling within the residential/basic category in the 2 years preceding the application.
- Must be a minimum of 21 years old. Must complete and sign authorization for background check, including criminal history.
- Applicants must have their own bank submit a credit reference form covering bank accounts used to operate a contracting business for the past two years OR submit to the Division a credit report detailing ones credit history that was run within the past 45 days.
- Must provide copy of an insurance certificate showing proof of workman’s compensation insurance as required by Georgia law and liability insurance in a minimum amount of $300,000. If applicant is applying as an individual, such proof shall be on behalf of the individual. If applicant is applying as a qualifying agent, such proof shall relate to the business organization.
Applying For Your License
To apply, contact the state of Georgia at 1-478-207-2440. A nonrefundable fee of $200.00 must be submitted with application.
- The fee for the exam is $72.
- The Georgia Residential Basic Exam has 90 questions and a time limit of 200 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; metals; roofing; associated trades; general code and construction knowledge; and OSHA safety.
- To schedule your exam, you must first obtain pre-approval from the board. Then, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2018 International Residential Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Guide to Good Practice for Wood Trusses
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
The following reference is also needed for the exam. It is available to print online free of charge.
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Georgia Residential Basic Contractor Exam Review through home study/ online course format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Applicants are required to complete 3 hours of continuing education each year.
This license has reciprocity with Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee. However, you must have held the same classification of license in these states for at least three years to qualify for reciprocity.