Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your South Carolina Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
South Carolina Residential Builder Exam Review – Course Bundle$199.99
The South Carolina Residential Builder Exam Review Online includes:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Plans Analysis
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*Includes Business and Law Practice Tests
South Carolina Application Processing$249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the South Carolina Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license allows someone to construct, superintend, or offer to construct or superintend the construction, repair, improvement, or re-improvement of a residential building. It is limited to construction, remodeling, repair or improvement of one-, two-, or multi-family residences not exceeding three stories in height, and/or 16 units in any single apartment building.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Residential Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam.
- Pre-approval is required before sitting for the exam
- A minimum of one year of experience is required to qualify for this license.
- Applicant will need 3 written letters of reference on their work experience.
- Registration is required for any single job over $200.
- All registrations renew odd years, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017. The fee is $100 if the license is issued for more than 12 months before the next renewal date; $50 if the license is issued for 12 months or less. License will expire on June 30th regardless of when it was issued.
- After passing the exams, Residential Contractors are required to obtain a Surety Bond of at least $15,000.
Applying For Your License
All applicants will be required to submit a credit report with their application. Application fee of $100 must be sent with the application when seeking pre-approval. Licenses renew July 1 of each even numbered year. The licensing fee for the Residential Builder is $80 for 12 months or less and $160 for 12 months or more.
Post Office Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211
- 110 questions and a time limit of 360 minutes
- A score of 70% (77 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $75
- Topics include: Sitework and Foundations, Concrete, Concrete Reinforcement, Masonry, Carpentry, Associated Trades and Drywall, Roofing, Plan Reading, and Estimating
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Carpentry & Building Construction
- Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete Construction 3rd Edition (ASC 105)
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Handling, Installing, and Bracing Wood Trusses
- 2015 International Residential Code
- Modern Masonry
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the South Carolina Residential Building Contractor Exam through a home study/ online course format. The fee for the online class is $199.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program is narrated and animated. Now includes the Business and Law Review. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Agreement with North Carolina, Utah, Alabama and Tennessee.