Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Louisiana Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Louisiana Residential Contractor – Books Only Package$288.96
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Louisiana Residential Contractor – Exaimination Materials:
- Carpentry and Building Construction 16th Edition
- 2018 International Residential Code
- Carpentry and Building Construction Tabs
- 2018 International Residential Tabs
Louisiana Application Processing$249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Louisiana Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A Residential Contractor constructs a fixed building or structure for sale for use by another as a residence when the cost of the undertaking exceeds $50,000. This license allows new construction, remodeling and repair of residential structures no more than three stories in height.
only time that the construction of a duplex, tri-plex, or four-plex is covered is when it is a single contract for one unit. To build multiple units, apartment buildings, or subdivisions you need to have a Building Contractor License. Individuals who build no more than one residence for their own use per year do not need a license.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Business and Law examination is required for licensure in the State of Louisiana.
- All contractors must have $10,000 in assets.
Applying For Your License
$100 license fee. Please call the board to request an application.
State Licensing Board For Contractors
P.O. Box 14419 · Baton Rouge, LA 70898
Phone: (225) 765-2301 · Fax: (225) 765-2431
- 80 Questions – Four-hour time limit
- Closed Book
- Exam fee of $100
- Topics include: Rough Carpentry, Interior and Exterior Finish, Concrete and Rebar, Associated Trades, Excavation and Site Work, Roofing, Masonry, Plans and Specifications
Books and References for the Exam
Both a calculator and these references will be provided for you at the test site. You will not be allowed to use your own. These books are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are NOT allowed in the testing center:
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- International Residential Code for One and Two-Family Dwellings (Please note that all questions referenced to the International Residential Code are currently consistent with the 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, and 2018 editions of the code.)
- Building Your High-Performance Home: Gulf Region Homeowners Guide
- Construction Industry Digest: OSHA 2202
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we do not offer training for this license. Please continue to check back with us as we are always adding new programs.
4 Hours of CEU are required per renewal. We offer this online.
There are formal written reciprocal agreements with the States of Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi, Tennessee, Texas, Utah as well as the North Carolina Electrical Examiners’ Board. The Business and Law examination cannot be waived for out-of-state contractors. However, reciprocity is not automatic, applications will be considered on an individual basis.