Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your Florida Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Florida Application Processing$249.99 – $349.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Florida Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Florida Residential Electrical Contractor License – Books Only Package$889.93
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A “residential electrical contractor” can install, maintain, alter, or repair any residential electrical equipment, control system, or device that is attached to any residence and includes the bidding and contracting for such work.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A Residential Electrical Contractor License is required in Florida for any job that involves the trade. Anyone seeking to become a residential electrical contractor in Florida is required to sit for two exams, business and finance and the trade.
- Applicants are required to provide a credit report and financial statement that is no more than 12 months old. A net worth of $2,500 – $20,000 (depending on classification) is required.
- The minimum Certification of Insurance coverage limits are $300,000 per occurrence, $500,000 property damage, $100,000 per person; or $800,000 combined single limit. Unlimited electrical contractors are required to have a performance or payment bond in the amount of $50,000 while specialty contractors are required to obtain a bond in the amount of $10,000.
Applicants must be able to meet one of the following experience requirements:
- Must be licensed as an electrical professional engineer for three (3) years within the last 12 years; or
- Must be licensed as a professional engineer for three (3) years within the last 12 years; or
- Must have three (3) years of management experience in the trade within the last six (6) years immediately preceding the filing of the application; or
- Must have four (4) years of experience as a foreman, supervisor or contractor in the trade within the last eight (8) years immediately preceding the filing of the application; or
- Must have six (6) years of comprehensive training, technical education or broad experience associated with an electrical installation or servicing endeavor within the last 12 years immediately preceding the filing of the application; or
- Must have at least six (6) years of technical experience in electrical work with the Armed Forces or a governmental entity within the last 12 years immediately preceding the filing of the application; or
- Must have a combination of these qualifications totaling six (6) years of experience.
Applying For Your License
Applications can be obtained from the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board by calling 1-850-487-1395. The application fee when applying for initial licensure:
For Individual Only
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $249.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $309.
Qualifying a Business
- From May 1st of an EVEN YEAR through August 31st of an ODD YEAR is $308.
- From September 1st of an ODD YEAR through April 30th of an EVEN YEAR is $208.
The Technical/Safety examination is 100 questions and has a time limit of 5 hours. A 75% is required to pass. The fee for this exam is $127.50. Approximately 8 weeks after your examination, you will receive your official grade notice. To schedule your exam, please contact the Florida Electrical Contractors Licensing Board at 1-850-487-1395.
The Business examination is 50 questions and has a time limit of 2 and 1/2 hours. A 75% is required to pass. The fee for this exam is $22.50. To schedule your exam, please contact Promissor at 1-877-224-0225. Please note that this is a different business and law exam than other Florida licenses.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- Florida Contractors Manual – 2017 Edition
- OSHA Part 1926
- 2017 National Electrical Code (NFPA 70)
- NFPA 72 – National Fire Alarm Code
- NFPA 780 – Lightning Protection Code
- NFPA 101 – Life Safety Code
Exam Review Education
As of this time we do not offer any classes for this content. Please check back in the future for possible material. However, we do stock all of the recommended references in our online bookstore.
14 hours of continuing education is required. We offer this online.
Florida has no reciprocity agreements; however, does endorse certain examinations from California, Georgia, and North Carolina for electrical contractors in select categories. The endorsements from Georgia include alarm and speciality categories.