Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your South Carolina HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
South Carolina Residential HVAC Exam Review$219.99
Please note that the Residential Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam. Pre-approval is required before sitting for the exam and A minimum of one year of experience is required to qualify. The course includes sample figures, questions, math and calculations, as well as a highlighting guide for the approved references. @HomePrep is a National Leader in online education. With over 100,000 satisfied students and a course catalog of over 1,000 classes, we are here to help you – Invest in Yourself.??
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This license allows you to work on residential systems only. It covers Air Conditioning, and Heat Pump Equipment, LP & Natural Gas, including piping, Fuel Oil appliances and piping, ductwork & other associated trades.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Please note that the Residential Business and Law Exam must be passed in addition to the trade exam.
- Pre-approval is required before sitting for the exam
- A minimum of one year of experience is required to qualify.
- Required to obtain a Surety Bond of at least $10,000, IF the work is in excess of $5,000.
Applying For Your License
All applicants will be required to submit a credit report with their application. An application-processing fee of $100 must be sent with the application when seeking pre-approval. Licenses renew July 1 of each even numbered year. The licensing fee is $50 for 12 months or less and $100 for 12 months or more.
Licensing Board for Contractors
Post Office Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211
- 80 questions and a time limit of 4 hours.
- A score of 65% (52 questions correct) is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $100.
- Topics include: AC and Heat Pump Equipment, Load Calculations, Insulation, Safety, Piping, Furnaces and Heaters, Heating and Cooling Principles, Hangers and Supports, Fuel Oil, Ducts, LP Gas, Testing, Adjusting and Balancing, Sound, Vibration and Seismic Control, Fuel Gas, Combustion Air, Chimneys, Flues, and Vents, Ventilation and Exhausts, Refrigerants, Controls.
- To schedule an examination, contact PSI Examination services at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- ACCA Duct Slide Rule
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards-Metal & Flexible
- 2018 International Fuel Gas Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- Manual J, Residential Load Calculations
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- OSHA 1926
- Residential Oil Burners
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the South Carolina Residential HVAC examinations in an online training format. The fee for the course is $199. The course includes sample figures, questions, math and calculations, as well as a highlighting guide for the approved references. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Online Training Price: $199.99
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
No agreements at this time.