Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Alaska HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Alaska Residential HVAC Mechanical Administrator – Books Only Package$706.95
As of this time we do not offer any courses for this exam. We do offer all the required books for this exam here in one complete package. Individual books can be found in our bookstore. Please be sure to check back in the future for possible course material, as we are always adding to our course catalog.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Residential HVAC work includes the installation, alteration, or retrofitting of fuel gas piping downstream of the gas meter, or fuel tank and fuel oil piping that is integral to work on an HVAC system for a single-family dwelling or a duplex dwelling not exceeding three stories; and warm air heating systems not exceeding 240,000 B.T.U./hour input. A mechanical administrator licensed in the residential HVAC category may supervise, in accordance with AS 08.40.400, the installation or retrofitting of all plug-in type electrical control panels and apparatus, and may supervise the retrofitting of all control wiring of 48 volts or less, in a residential single-family dwelling or a duplex dwelling not exceeding three stories so long as those modifications do not alter the electrical characteristics of the mechanical system or controls. The original installation of control wiring, or the alteration or retrofitting of controls and control wiring that alters the electrical characteristics of the mechanical system, must be supervised by an electrical administrator licensed in the appropriate category under 12 AAC 32.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Licensees must possess a valid state of Alaska business license which is issued separately for $50 per year.
- An applicant for a mechanical administrator license in the residential HVAC category shall furnish proof satisfactory to the department that the applicant has practical experience as a journeyman in residential HVAC work for at least two of the four years immediately preceding the date of the application.
Applying For Your License
New applications, $300 ($50 - nonrefundable application fee, $250 license fee). For changes, see fee schedule. Check or money order should be made payable to the State of Alaska.
Department of Community & Economic Development Division of Occupational Licensing
Contractor Registration Section
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- 100 questions and a time limit of 240 minutes
- Topics include: Alaska Statutes and Regulations, Burners, Controls, Air Conditioning Systems, Fuel Piping/Storage, Chimneys, Sheet Metal/Duct Systems, Testing and Inspections, Evaporative Cooling
- A score of 70% is needed to pass.
- Exam fee is $150
- The exam is given by PSI 800-733-9267
Books and References for the Exam
They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination.
- Alaska Centralized Statutes (Available to Print Online)
- Alaska Centralized Regulations (Available to Print Online)
- Alaska Construction Contractor Statutes and Regulations (Available to Print Online)
- Alaska Mechanical Administrators Statutes and Regulations, July 2005 (Available to Print Online) (Available to Print Online)
- International Mechanical Code
- NFPA 54 – National Fuel Gas Code
References not allowed during the exam
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, 20th Edition
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards, Metal And Flexible – 3rd edition
- Residential Oil Burners, 3rd Edition
Exam Review Education
We do not offer training for this license at this time, please check later as we add more content.
8-hours of continuing education per renewal.
Case by case basis.