Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Georgia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Georgia Contractor Live Seminar – Residential Light Commercial
Our live seminars are taught by industry professional with over 30 years’ experience. If you purchase a any seminar package, all required books for your exam (based on license type) are included in your bundle along with pre-printed tabs. You will also receive an online exam prep course you can access 24/7 up to 1 year from purchase.
Georgia Contractor Live Seminar (Seminar Only)$525.99
@HomePrep offers this seminar to prepare you for the Georgia Residential and Residential Light Commercial License Exam as well as the Business and Law Exam. This 2-Day seminar will guide you through highlighting and tabbing the associated exam books for fast and easy reference during the test. This package includes the seminar fee, all required reference books by license type, associated tabs and access to our online course for extra review. This course is taught by a construction industry expert with over 30 years’ practical experience in the construction tr…
Georgia Application Processing$249.99 – $449.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Georgia Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Georgia Residential Light Commercial Contractor Exam Review$219.99
The Georgia Residential-Light Commercial Contractor Exam Review Online includes:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Plans Analysis
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
2018 International Building Code$168.99
The scope of the International Building Code® (IBC®) includes all buildings except detached one- and two-family dwellings and townhouses up to three stories.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A Residential/Light Commercial contractor performs any work or activity covered under the Residential/Basic contractor AND work or activity related to multifamily and multiuse light commercial buildings and structures, and their related accessory buildings and structures. These buildings/structures must be less than 4 stories high, less than 25,000 square feet in aggregate interior floor space. Buildings/structures are constructed of wood or light gauge metal frame, brick veneer, prefabricated, or manufactured type of construction, or are pre-engineered steel buildings not exceeding 50,000 square feet of interior floor space.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A Contractors License (Residential Light Commercial Contractor) is required in Georgia when the project exceeds $2,500.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- Please note that the Georgia Business and Law exam is also required to be passed to obtain your contractor’s license.
- Licensure will be required for the practice of contracting in Georgia for any job over $2,500.
- Applicants must prove financial responsibility by submitting a bank credit reference form showing 24 month history; a $25,000 surety bond; a $25,000 line of credit or letter of credit; or an affirmation of a minimum net worth of $25,000.
- Must provide copy of an insurance certificate showing proof of workers compensation insurance as required by Georgia law and liability insurance in a minimum amount of $500,000. If applicant is applying as an individual, such proof shall be on behalf of the individual. If applicant is applying as a qualifying agent, such proof shall relate to the business organization.
- Must list two projects successfully performed and completed within the residential-light commercial category within the four years prior to application submission.
- Other requirements listed here
Applying For Your License
To apply, contact the state of Georgia at 1-478-207-2440. A nonrefundable fee of $200.00 must be submitted with application.
- The fee for the exam is $72.
- The Georgia Residential Light Commercial Contractor Exam has 90 questions and a time limit of 230 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the exam include sitework, footings, and foundation; concrete and concrete reinforcement; masonry; carpentry; metals; roofing; associated trades; general code and construction knowledge; and OSHA safety.
- To schedule your exam, you must first obtain pre-approval from the board. Then, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2018 International Building Code
- 2018 International Residential Code
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Guide to Good Practice for Wood Trusses
- Contractors Guide to Quality Concrete
- Modern Masonry
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joists and Joist Girders
- Manual of Construction with Steel Deck
- 2009 International Energy Conservation Code
The following reference is also needed for the exam. It is available to print online free of charge.
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Georgia Residential Light Commercial Contractor Exam through home study/ online course format. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
Applicants are required to complete 3 hours of continuing education each year.
This license has reciprocity with Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee. However, you must have held the same classification of license in these states for at least three years to qualify for reciprocity.