Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Electrical field? Study at home for your New Mexico Electrical license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
New Mexico Residential Electrical Wiring – ER-1$164.99
A Residential Electrical Wiring license is required in New Mexico for any job that involves the trade. Anyone seeking to become a contractor in New Mexico is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade. The applicant must submit a bond for $500 to $5,000 and provide proof of required experience (2-4 years or 4,000 hours). The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. @H…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
An ER-1 Residential electrical wiring license covers one and two-family dwelling units and multi-family dwellings when all such units are all on the ground floor with no occupancies above or below, as set forth in 14.10.4 NMAC. May not install wiring for commercial use, such as motels, hotels and similar occupancies. May not contract for more than four dwelling units in any single building or structure.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- A Residential Electrical Wiring License is required in New Mexico for any job that involves the trade.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in New Mexico is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- The applicant must submit a bond for $500 to $5,000 (depending on the anticipated dollar level of projects in the state), cash collateral or audited financial statement.
- Applicants qualifying agent must provide proof of required experience (2 years or 4,000 hours).
Applying For Your License
The application fee is $30.00, licensing fee is $30.00 and the annual renewal fee is $50.00.
Applications for all types of contractor's licenses are available from:
Contractors Licensing Service, Inc.
3211 Coors Blvd. SW, Suite D-4
Albuquerque, NM 87121
- 80 questions
- 3 hours
- Contact PSI to schedule your exam at 800 733-9267
- Exam Topics include: General Knowledge and Electrical Installation Requirements, Services, Feeders, and Branch Circuits, Overcurrent Protection, Grounding and Bonding, Conductors and Cables, Raceways and Boxes, Special Occupancies, and Special Equipment, Pools, Lighting, and General-Use Equipment, New Mexico State Code, and Low Voltage
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. It is available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2017 NFPA 70 – National Electrical Code or The National Electrical Code Handbook
- 2017 New Mexico Electrical Code (NMAC 14.10.4)
Not allowed during test references:
- American Electrician's Handbook
- Ugly's Electrical Reference
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the electrical exam in an online training format. The course includes highlighting guides, practice tests, theory, calculations, instructor support and test taking tips/strategies. Each time you take a practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
New Mexico Journeyman Electricians are required to obtain 16 hours of continiung education for each renewal. The following courses are state approved. Our program satisfies all 16 hours of education including 8 hours of code. We offer this online.
None at this time.