Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Construction field? Study at home for your Virginia Construction license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Commercial Building Exam Review$164.99
- Our online commercial building exam review is one of the best online exam review programs.
- The program takes you through each one of the reference books that you are allowed to use during the examination showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion.
- The entire program is fully narrated.
Requirements To Complete
About This License
This type of contractor includes construction on real property owned, controlled or leased by another person of commercial, industrial, institutional, governmental, and accessory use buildings or structures. This does not include construction, repair, or improvement of dwellings and townhouses.
The building (CBC) classification includes, but is not limited to, the functions carried out by the following specialties:
- Billboard/Sign Contracting (BSC)
- Concrete Contracting (CEM)
- Commercial Improvement Contracting (CIC)
- Farm Improvement Contracting (FIC)
- Landscape Service Contracting (LSC)
- Marine Facility Contracting (MCC)
- Masonry Contracting (BRK)
- Industrialized Building Contracting (IBC)
- Painting and Wallcovering Contracting (PTC)
- Recreational Facility Contracting (RFC)
- Roofing Contracting (ROC)
- Swimming Pool Construction Contracting (POL)
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
The Virginia Commercial Building Contractor Exam is required to be passed if you are applying for the Commercial Building clasification.
- The Virginia Commercial Building Contractor examination is required for anyone who wants to perform framing work on new construction.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- In addition, an 8 Hour Pre-Licensing Course is required to be completed to become licensed as a contractor.
- A Virginia Class A, B, or C license is required to be obtained along with passing this exam.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
- The Commmercial Building Contractor Exam has 80 questions and a time limit of 180 minutes.
- A 70% is required to pass.
- Topics on the Examination include site work, concrete including reinforcment, masonry, metals, carpentry, thermal and moisture proctection, associated trades (drywall, metal stud framing, insulation and moisture, doors, windows glazing), safety, estimating and plan reading, and general code requirements.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore.
- 2015 International Building Code
- ANSI 2009
- Carpentry and Building Construction
- Contractor's Guide to Quality Concrete
- Gypsum Construction Handbook
- Handling and Erection of Steel Joist and Joist Girders
- Manual of Construction with Steel Deck
- Modern Masonry
- OSHA Part 1926
- Pipe and Excavation Contracting
- Placing Reinforcing Bars
- Roofing Construction and Estimating
- Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code
Exam Review Education
We offer review for the Virginia Commercial Building Contractor Exam in a home study/online course format. The fee for the online class is $149.99. The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated. For more information, or to order, contact our office at 1-800-952-0910.
There are no continuing education requirements as of this time.
As of this time, there is no reciprocal licensing.