Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Plumbing field? Study at home for your Alabama Plumbing license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Alabama Application Processing$149.99 – $249.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Alabama Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Alabama Plumbing License (Master/Journeyman)$98.99
Pre-approval is required to sit for this examination through the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board. After approval is granted, you have 30 days to take the exam. Journeyman Plumber- Requires 2 years registration as apprentice or completed Board approved apprentice training program to take required exam. Master Plumber- Requires 1 year certification as journeyman plumber to take the required exam. The Journeyman exam is open-book, with 70 questions and a 3-hour time limit. The Master exam is open-book, with 100 questions and a 4-hour time limit. E…
Requirements To Complete
About This License
Journeyman Plumber: A person who engages in or works at the actual installation, repair, or replacement of plumbing systems, who has successfully fulfilled the examination requirements of the board, has been issued a journeyman plumber certificate by the board, and possesses a valid and current annual certificate issued by the board. The certificate shall be available for inspection on request.
Master Plumber: Any person engaged in or proposing to engage in the business of contracting to do, or of superintending the installation, maintenance, or repair of plumbing, or both. The individual shall qualify to be a certified master plumber. If the business is a firm or corporation, at least one active employee of the firm or corporation shall be a duly registered and certified master plumber, actively, continuously connected with the conduct of the business. The master plumber shall have in his or her possession a current annual certificate issued by the board. The certificate shall be available for inspection on request.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
- Pre-approval IS required to sit for this examination through the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board.
- After approval is granted, you have 30 days in which to take your examination.
- Journeyman Plumber- Requires 2 years registration as apprentice or completed Board approved apprentice training program to take required exam.
- Master Plumber- Requires 1 year certification as journeyman plumber to take the required exam.
Applying For Your License
Application for examination:
Master Plumber- $160
Journeyman Plumber- $110
If you need assistance with the application process, @ Home Prep- a division of Stautzenberger College can help you by saving you time and money. With our years of experience, we can quickly and accurately submit your application to your state.
- The exam is open-book, with 70 questions and a 3-hour time limit. (Journeyman)
- The exam is open-book, with 100 questions and a 4-hour time limit. (Master)
- Exams happen approximately once every quarter.
- Topics include plumbing fixtures and terminology, plumbing fundamentals, traps, cleanouts, interceptors, drainage requirements, vent requirements, water distribution, plan and analysis. The master exam will include a section on laws and rules.
- To schedule your exams, contact PSI at (800) 733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor’s bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- International Plumbing Code 2015
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters (Allowed into Master Exam Only. Not allowed into the Journeyman Exam.)
- Alabama Code: Plumbers and Gas Fitters, Chapter 37
- Rules of the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board
Exam Review Education
As of this time, we offer review for this exam by online practice tests. Each time you take a test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. To order, click the Buy Now link below or call 800-952-0910.
As of this time, there is no continuing education for this license.
Alabama has no reciprocity agreements for this license. Applicants with an active license in another state may use that license to qualify to take this exam; otherwise all applicants must start at the Apprentice level.