Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the Gas Fitter field? Study at home for your Virginia Gas Fitter license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Virginia Gas Fitter (Master/ Journeyman) Exam Review$219.99
The online course provides everything you need to pass the Virginia Gas Fitter (Master/Journeyman) Exam, including:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
Requirements To Complete
About This License
"Liquefied petroleum gas fitter" means any individual who engages in, or offers to engage in, work for the general public for compensation in work that includes the installation, repair, improvement, alterations or removal of piping, liquefied petroleum gas tanks and appliances (excluding hot water heaters, boilers and central heating systems which require a heating, ventilation and air conditioning or plumbing certification) annexed to real property.
"Natural gas fitter provider" means any individual who engages in or offers to engage in work for the general public for compensation in the incidental repair, testing, or removal of natural gas piping or fitting annexed to real property, excluding new installation of gas piping for hot water heaters, boilers, central heating systems, or other natural gas equipment which requires heating, ventilation and air conditioning or plumbing certification.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
Gas Fitter licensing in Virginia is at 3 levels: journeyman, master, and contractor. To become either a journeyman gas fitter or a master gas fitter, there are two examination portions that must be passed: statutory and regulatory portion and the trade portion.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- To sit for the trade examinations, a candidate must document that they have met one of the following experience requirements. Individuals who hold a currently valid license or certification from another state as a journeyman or master tradesman may sit for the same level examination by providing a copy of that license or certification card.
- Two years of practical experience in the trade and a degree or certification showing the completion of a two year program from either a trade or technical school, or a community college; or
- Four years of practical experience in the trade and 240 hours of formal vocational training in the trade; or
- Five years of practical experience in the trade and 160 hours of formal vocational training in the trade; or
- Six years of practical experience in the trade and 80 hours of formal vocational training in the trade; or
- A bachelor’s degree received from an accredited college or university in an engineering curriculum related to the trade and 1 year of practical experience in the trade; or
- Ten years of practical experience in the trade, verified by an affidavit from those who observed the candidate’s work in the trade
- One year of practical experience as a licensed Virginia journeyman; or
- Ten years of practical experience in the trade, verified by an affidavit from those who observed the candidate’s work in the trade.
Applying For Your License
Applications for licensure can be obtained from the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation State Board for Contractors by calling 1-804-367-8511.
You are required to submit your application to the Board prior to taking the examination. Applications can be downloaded by Clicking Here.
- The journeyman/master gas fitter exams have 50 questions and a time limit of 150 minutes.
- Master passing score is 74%. Journeyman passing score is 70%
- Topics on the examinations include natural and lp gas piping, pipe sizing, lp-gas tanks, gas piping controls, and testing; standards of practice; standards of conduct; renewal and reinstatement; definitions; qualification for licensure; and revocation of licensure.
- The fee for the journeyman portion is $100 while the master portion has a fee of $125.
- To schedule your exam, contact PSI at 1-800-733-9267.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. You can purchases the references from our online bookstore or by calling 1-800-952-0910.
- 2015 International Fuel Gas Code
- NFPA 58: Liquid Petroleum Gas Code, 2008
- Virginia Board for Contractors, Individual License and Certification Regulations
Exam Review Education
We currently offer the Virginia Gas Fitter Exam review in an online practice test format. Each time you take the practice test, the questions are randomly generated from our database. Therefore, you will never see the same test twice, guaranteeing you the best review possible for your examination.
One hour of CEU is required to be completed every 2 years. We offer this online.
None as of this time.