Obtain Your License
Pursuing a career in the HVAC field? Study at home for your Tennessee HVAC license exam with our fully online, user-friendly, and self-paced course.
Tennessee Application Processing$249.99 – $299.99
@HomePrep Application Processing is here to ensure your application to become a state licensed contractor gets filled out correctly and promptly. We provide a professional service ensuring your privacy and comfort throughout the entire process. Following your purchase of the Tennessee Application Processing our AP Coordinator will contact you to discuss the next steps. If you have any questions please call us at 800-952-0910. We look forward to working with you.
Tennessee Mechanical HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor License (TN CMC-C)$219.99
The Tennessee Exam Review includes the following:
- Highlighting Guides
- Practice Exams
- Math and Calculations
- Study Tips
- Licensing Information
- Instructor Support
*The Business and Law Exam must be passed to become a licensed contractor
Requirements To Complete
About This License
A HVAC/Refrigeration license enables a contractor to perform all aspects of heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, ductwork, ventilation, as well as gas piping to any heating apparatus or to appliances.
Requirements to Obtaining Your License
A HVAC/Refrigeration Contractors license is required in Tennessee when the project exceeds $25,000.
- Anyone seeking to become a contractor in Tennessee is required to sit for two exams, business and law and the trade.
- Workers Compensation is required
General liability insurance requirements are based on your monetary limit.
- If your monetary limit is up to $500,000, you will need to provide $100,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is $500,001 - $1,500,000, you will need to provide $500,000 coverage.
- If your monetary limit is greater than $1,500,000 you will need to provide $1,000,000 coverage.
Applying For Your License
An application for licensure can be obtained from the Tennessee Board for Licensing Contractors by calling 1-800-544-7693. The licensing and application fee is $250.00.
- The testing company is PSI (1-800-733-9267)
- 100 questions and an 260 minute time limit
- 73% is required to pass the exam
- The exam fee is $57.
- Topics on the exam include electrical knowledge, motors, and controls; refrigeration, hydronic, steam and process piping; heating and cooling principles and theory; heating and cooling equipment and components; refrigerants and refrigeration; fuel and LP gas; combustion air, chimney’s, flues, and vents; ducts, ventilation, and exhaust; load calculations; and safety, fire and smoke protection.
Books and References for the Exam
The following references are permitted to be taken into the examination. These references may be tabbed (with a permanent index tab) and highlighted. They are available for purchase from our online contractor's bookstore or by calling our office at 1-800-952-0910.
- 2012 International Mechanical Code
- 2012 International Fuel Gas Code
- Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Ductulator (Trane or ACCA)
- HVAC Duct Construction Standards, Metal and Flexible
- Ugly’s Electrical References
- Carrier System Design Manual Part 3
- OSHA Code of Federal Regulations Part 1926
- Pipefitters Handbook
- Manual J
Exam Review Education
Online Training: The program takes you through each one of the reference books that the exam is based on showing you exactly what to highlight. After your highlighting is completed with each book, you have the option take an online practice test to reinforce concepts presented. Also, there is an extensive math and plans analysis portion. The program narrated and animated.
Online Course: $199.99
There are no requirements for continuing education as of this time.
Tennessee has limited reciprocity agreement with the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina and South Carolina.